Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
In that range, there is one new lens that gets some good reviews, and it is the 18-55 3.5-5.6 ('kit') lens that usually comes with the US bodies. It has decent close focus capabilities, and many people take some stunning shots with it.

I'm really unimpressed with the 18-55. Mine is about 6 years old; maybe they have improved since then but mine is very soft. They are crazy cheap used, though.

11-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I'm really unimpressed with the 18-55. Mine is about 6 years old; maybe they have improved since then but mine is very soft. They are crazy cheap used, though.
you might want to try Pentax's new 16-85mm. But it is not cheap for sure.
11-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
you might want to try Pentax's new 16-85mm. But it is not cheap for sure.

Yeah, I'm in need of something between my 15Ltd and my original 50-200mm kit lens, which is a pretty solid workhorse. I have no lens budget right now, alas. I'm torn between the DA 35mm f/2.4 AL (which I can buy with Amazon points in a couple of months), and holding out for a high end zoom sometime next year. The 16-85 sure looks nice... and I might let my 15mm go to help fund the purchase. But at this point I doubt I'd spend much on any lens which I couldn't use with a FF.
11-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think you can beat the Pentax-A and M range for Bang for Buck.
The A 50mm F1.7 is brilliant for around £40.
The M300* is superb, you might need a bit more than $100 though.
You can pick up an A28mm for around £50,
And I don't do zooms, so I can't help there.

11-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I'm really unimpressed with the 18-55.
I am not sure whether you have the worse version I or the slightly better version II (the current version), but it makes sense. It is the kit lens, by default the worst lens in the current lineup. The main use for the kit lens is as a "beater" lens, or if you get the WR versions, since it is the cheapest way to get a WR system, and optics is a sacrifice.
The good news is that almost any lens will outperform it.
That being said, the Pentax kit lenses are better than the kit lenses some other brands offered
QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
You can pick up an A28mm for around £50,
I would like to see that! I had to pay around that much for the M version. I really enjoy this focal length, though, so a 28mm is a good recommendation
11-04-2014, 04:20 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would like to see that! I had to pay around that much for the M version. I really enjoy this focal length, though, so a 28mm is a good recommendation
I know it's surprising, A lenses normally go for a lot more. The 28 must be plentiful, see a "Sold items" search:

pentax-a 28mm | eBay
11-04-2014, 04:32 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You guys realize this thread is from 2006?

11-04-2014, 04:47 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
You guys realize this thread is from 2006?
Only the first page
11-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
Only the first page
Doesn't matter. Reviving a thread that has been dead for eight years is rarely a good idea - you can already see how people start replying directly to posts made back in 2006. That doesn't make much sense. Better then to start a new thread referring to the old one if there is need.
11-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Doesn't matter. Reviving a thread that has been dead for eight years is rarely a good idea - you can already see how people start replying directly to posts made back in 2006. That doesn't make much sense. Better then to start a new thread referring to the old one if there is need.
Good point.
11-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I am not sure whether you have the worse version I or the slightly better version II (the current version), but it makes sense. It is the kit lens, by default the worst lens in the current lineup. The main use for the kit lens is as a "beater" lens...

I probably have version II since it came with my K-x in 2009, but I'm not sure. I suppose they could have still been offloading old ones.

It's appropriate as a bundled lens, IMO, but I wouldn't recommend someone go out and actually buy one.