Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Cleaning Lenses

Hello, I think that I may have damaged my smc m 50mm lens. I bought this lens together with a K1000 camera several years ago, and when I first got it the pictures were extremely sharp and clear. The problem is that I have cleaned the lens a few times with alcohol and a Q tip and a couple of times with eyeglass cleaners, since I did this I have noticed that my pictures have a very bright haziness or milky look beyond the shadows in the pictures.

For example, if I am surrounded by trees and I am focusing on a subject at a distance that is in the sunlight, the distant landscape will be very hazy or extremely bright and milky looking but the objects in the shadows that are closer to the camera look fine.

I have been using fuji film 400 that I bought at Walmart set with the camera meter at 1/250 full sun, 1/125 full sun and partial sun, and 1/60 on cloudy days.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions, this was a good lens before. Maybe it's the Walmart Fuji film or, maybe it's their processing machine?? I don't know....please help. Thanks K

07-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
You can see just about anything wrong with a lens (in terms of contamination) if in a darkened room you shine a flashlight through one end and look in the other. Better if you have one with adjustable brightness control so you don't blind yourself. Work the lens around so you can see the surfaces contrasted against the dark are of the tube (in other words, you are not trying to look at the light, but at the surfaces of the glass). If you don't see haziness (or outright blotches of dust or fungus) when you do this, it's probably not the issue.

You can see what I mean about the light in the pics at the bottom of the first post here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93388-tamron-e...ccd-flare.html

That fungus was barely visible viewing the lens under normal light and didn't seem to have a huge effect on image quality either, but would you buy that lens on ebay?
07-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

#1 Take a good look throught the lens (not throught the VF but "naked" with your peepers) to see if you got the fungus.
#2 Please don't clean your lenses to often
#3 If you happen to NEED to clean your lenses you need to........blow, brush (Camel hair please) and than use some kind of clean moisture (I just "huff" on the lens with my breath) and follow with a micro-fiber cloth or some kind of lens tissue.

Ray
07-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
Update on lens

YEP.....I looked through both lenses, smc m 80-210 and the 50mm. The 50 is wasted, it looks like an alien life form is growing on the inside around the glass. The 80-210 is crystal clear..... wheww!! ...At least I'm safe on that one.

What would be a good choice to replace the 50mm with, as far as a K mount M series??? Possibly a zoom, that would cover from 50mm to 70mm??? or would a couple of fixed lenses up to 70mm or 80mm be a better choice?? and, if so, which ones would be good sharp lenses and reasonably priced??

Also one more question, What is the best way to store my camera and lenses between uses?? I have to admit... I have been keeping it and the lenses in its camera case in a dry, dark closet. Is that wrong?? Thanks K

07-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigK Quote
YEP.....I looked through both lenses, smc m 80-210 and the 50mm. The 50 is wasted, it looks like an alien life form is growing on the inside around the glass. The 80-210 is crystal clear..... wheww!! ...At least I'm safe on that one.

What would be a good choice to replace the 50mm with, as far as a K mount M series??? Possibly a zoom, that would cover from 50mm to 70mm??? or would a couple of fixed lenses up to 70mm or 80mm be a better choice?? and, if so, which ones would be good sharp lenses and reasonably priced??

Also one more question, What is the best way to store my camera and lenses between uses?? I have to admit... I have been keeping it and the lenses in its camera case in a dry, dark closet. Is that wrong?? Thanks K

Dry is always good and dark can't always be avoided, you gotta do what you gotta do!

I store my lenses in freezer type zip bags with a few Desi Paks.

I just happen to have about a thousand Desi Paks, if you live in the lower 48 I would be glad to send you some no charge (just PM me your addy).

Ray
07-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
If it's a f/2 it's garbage, but if it's a 1.4 and you are adventurous, you might try disassembling and cleaning it with ethyl alcohol.
07-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
If it's a f/2 it's garbage, but if it's a 1.4 and you are adventurous, you might try disassembling and cleaning it with ethyl alcohol.

50mm f2 is garbage (Pentax of course)?

I would like to be the person that salvages your trash bin.
07-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the point is, if it's a 50/2 with fungus, it isn't worth what it costs (in money or your own time) to clean. Rather than spend hours cleaning it, $20 at the local pawnshop will get you another.