Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #1

Tamron AF 70-300mm with wrong fitting

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

i bought a "Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2" from ebay i asked the buyer twice via ebay pm what camera was it for he said it looks like it fit all, i knew this would not be the case so i asked him again and pointed out i had a pentax and i quote what he said "Hi not sure if this helps but looks like it will fit the pentax K"

so on this i bidded for it and won it arrived this morning and like a kid with a new toy unwrapped the paper and the box was revealed and to my utter disappointment on 4 sides it states
FOR CANON and the model number if googling says CANON.

i sent him a PM asking why but this is the problem i know i got a good buy if i had a canon camera as i bought it for £25 all in.

my question can i change the mount to suit my camera and still have the full AF functions.

sorry i'm new to dslr, only a month so far but enjoying it.

07-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, you cannot. You can't even really get it to work properly without AF. You need the version of the lens made for Pentax. Hopefuly he'll give you a refund, or else you can just turn around and sell it yourself and then buy the correct lens from someone who knows what he is selling.
07-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure with enough time and effort that you could very well get it to work without autofocus capabilities. But why would you bother. I'd suggest that you sell it and purchase a proper one. No point fiddling with something that you shouldn't.
07-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
thankyou very much it's much appreciated.

once bitten twice shy.

07-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Could you give us a link to the listing? It sounds like it was stolen to me
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
not stolen, i have spoken on the phone to him and happy with his explanation he sells clothes and he only put it on not knowing much about lenes and it was a honest mistake and will take it back and add pay for return delivery.

i would be daft to send it back when i know the prices of this so i might as well sell it on.

i would have liked to convert it for a pentax, what i cannot understand is that they ship these for all cameras so why can i not just be able to get a pentax fittings and unscrew the canon mount for a pentax k-mount.

i bought a tamron af 100-300 1:5-6.3 with fittings for a pentax, i'm new to this but why can i not change the adapter is it all todo with contacts?

serial for this model is 332437

thx in advance.
08-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
i'm really sorry about posting but i was looking on ebay and found this, is it possible to screw this on in place of the cannon fitting.?

the ebay item:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAMRON-adaptell-PENTAX-PENTAX-K7D-K20D-K10D-KMD-K-/310...item483b841d94

Last edited by iceman; 08-06-2010 at 12:20 PM.
08-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iceman Quote
i'm really sorry about posting but i was looking on ebay and found this, is it possible to screw this on in place of the cannon fitting.?

the ebay item:TAMRON adaptell PENTAX A PENTAX K7D-K20D-K10D-KMD-K on eBay (end time 22-Aug-10 23:36:08 BST)
sorry but it won't work, it's for Tamron adaptall lenses.
Those were made back in the days with one mount on top of which you then add this adapter to fit correct mount. But it won't fit EOS lens and convert it to K... sorry
08-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
thankyou, i admit defeat and matter closed.

all help is much appreciated

mark
08-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
You can't do much with a Canon lens on a Pentax camera. Canon registration distance is shorter than that of Pentax and the EF mount is wider than the K, so even if you could somehow work on it and get to change its mount to a Pentax K with full connections (amazing feat in itself), the lens would sit on your Pentax camera farther away from the sensor than it was designed to, so you wouldn't be able to focus beyond 2m.

This lens is not even worth the effort - it's easily available in all mounts and not expensive to begin with. You'd have to spend a lot to achieve very little.

You now have experience and a lens you can resell, maybe for a profit.