Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

sharpness, softness, etc

I am not sure if it is just a case that I am the first to admit it or if it is really part of growing old and eyesight. However after reading, reviewing, looking at all the pictures, especially in the tamron sigma discussion, am I the only one that either does not see or barely see all the differences that my colleagues are talking about. It is just the eye of the IQ perfectionist speaking or do I need practice?

If taking pictures at weddings, do the customers, the lay people, actually see these differences that are being pointed out?

07-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i think most of the pics here are small in size, so its not very noticeable. just take any old photo you've taken and just zoom, there is a real difference between a sharp photo and a soft one if you do that.
08-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think its fair to say resolution is limited by the weakest link in the photo making chain. If that weak link is not the lens, but the camera body or film or lack of tripod or scanning technique, then all pictures will look equally sharp through different lenses. Beyond this critical level of resolution which the camera can deliver, all extra resolution from the lens is an excess. A bit like a car being able to drive faster than the national speed limit.

However, its nice to know that if you put in top quality film, or use a tripod and long hood, your lens is going to deliver that bit extra, like knowing you can get a bit more juice out of your car if needs be.
08-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by houstonmacgregor Quote
However after reading, reviewing, looking at all the pictures, especially in the tamron sigma discussion, am I the only one that either does not see or barely see all the differences that my colleagues are talking about. It is just the eye of the IQ perfectionist speaking or do I need practice?
First question would be, what type of monitor do you use? LCD's have a habit of making things look sharper than CRT's etc etc.

The next thing would be to ask if you are seeing images at their full resolution in your browser? The forum software will often resize images to fit your viewing resolution, which in turn looses much of the definition(sharpness). One way to test this theory is to right click the image and choose "View Image" then click it again to see it full size... if it was reduced, you'll quickly find out.

These would be some of the simpler solutions imo.

08-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I often have the same problem with my older eyes too. It's also likely that the 72 PPI of most internet images level the playing field between really sharp and slightly soft focus. Subtle differences in contrast can make a lot of difference as well as the amount of sharpening in PP.

Oh, and I go to see my opthamologist next week.