Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Helical play in M 2/85

I've got a M 85mm back from being serviced for a sticky diaphragm, and its come back with slight play in the focusing ring. The focus ring moves less than a tenth of a mm freely before moving the lens elements, when changing focusing direction quickly. Its like a very light engagement, as if the helical coil has a tiny amount of play. Slowly changing focus you would not notice. Does anyone with a M 2/85 have similar experiences? Is this something which is to be expected with a well used lens?

I can't send the lens back to the shop, as its needed for new baby duties shortly, I'm a bit concerned this is going to develop into something worse over the course of time if I don't get it seen to. I'd not worry if it were a 50mm or something, but this particular lens has cost me a fair amount of money. I'm a bit miffed as the service on the lens cost GBP 60.

07-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
I've got a M 85mm back from being serviced for a sticky diaphragm, and its come back with slight play in the focusing ring. The focus ring moves less than a tenth of a mm freely before moving the lens elements, when changing focusing direction quickly. Its like a very light engagement, as if the helical coil has a tiny amount of play. Slowly changing focus you would not notice. Does anyone with a M 2/85 have similar experiences? Is this something which is to be expected with a well used lens?

I can't send the lens back to the shop, as its needed for new baby duties shortly, I'm a bit concerned this is going to develop into something worse over the course of time if I don't get it seen to. I'd not worry if it were a 50mm or something, but this particular lens has cost me a fair amount of money. I'm a bit miffed as the service on the lens cost GBP 60.
No M lens should have any play in the focusing ring; my M85/2 doesn't and neither my other M lenses do. I guess they did the re-assembling a bit too quick
07-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Checked mine...

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
...my M85/2 doesn't...
...nice and tight, too.

Good luck...
07-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

Just FYI, my very battered and much used (but cheaply bought) M2/85 has a tad of play as well. It may be a different kind of play, though, because I noticed it on the barrel, not on the focusing ring itself.
It does'nt evolve (at least since I have it, got it 9 months ago) and does not affect its (outstanding) optical quality in any way.

08-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, for the responses. I think I will leave it as is as the glass is very clean after cleaning and the play only occurs if I am abrupt with the change in focusing. I guess maybe this copy has seen a lot of use, without ever being CLA'd before, which means the helical threads have some wear.