Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #16
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Damn, even though I already have the magnificent FA* 85/1.4 [IF], my LBA is acting up big time after seeing those product shots and sample photos. One day I will have one too (or so I hope)
I am a bit curious that someone like yourself who already owns FA*85, what would you gain by getting an A*, other than you know, LBA gratification??? Aren't they supposed to be of similar optical formula?

I do think that owning FA*85 and A*85 at the same time is rather attractive . . . . .

08-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I am a bit curious that someone like yourself who already owns FA*85, what would you gain by getting an A*, other than you know, LBA gratification??? Aren't they supposed to be of similar optical formula?

I do think that owning FA*85 and A*85 at the same time is rather attractive . . . . .
They are not really the same; the A* 85 shares its optical layout with the FA77 Limited. The A* is said to be sharper than the FA* and better suited for allround photography, whereas the FA* is really optimized for portrait distances.

However, I have used the A* in the past (for a few weeks) and found it prone to CA in difficult conditions (but sharp it is). The FA* does not exhibit the same "problem". (BTW: the A* 135/1.8 is even worse in this regard).
08-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They are not really the same; the A* 85 shares its optical layout with the FA77 Limited. The A* is said to be sharper than the FA* and better suited for allround photography, whereas the FA* is really optimized for portrait distances.

However, I have used the A* in the past (for a few weeks) and found it prone to CA in difficult conditions (but sharp it is). The FA* does not exhibit the same "problem". (BTW: the A* 135/1.8 is even worse in this regard).
Humm... I own the FA*85, it is really an excellent lens but it is also very prone to purple fringing; all these very fast lenses exhibit the same flaw; to complement it I have simply bought the DA70 limited
08-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Humm... I own the FA*85, it is really an excellent lens but it is also very prone to purple fringing; all these very fast lenses exhibit the same flaw; to complement it I have simply bought the DA70 limited
True; but the FA* does not show PF nearly as often as the A*. The A* even showed PF stopped down to f/5.6. I have used the FA* in numerous situations (even wide open) and I never saw any bad PF. However, the FA* tends to blow highlights easily, but that's about the only complaint I have. The FA* 85/1.4 at f/1.4 is sharper than the FA 50 at f/1.4 (I tried two copies of the FA50).

08-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ Asahiflex:
how does 77ltd compare to those 85s?
thanks
Peter
08-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Look what you have done, Sailor:

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Pentaxor, that should not be a problem. Fifth floor is great. Better forth or sixth . . . Let's do this. You and me. I am thinking maybe smc might want to join us . . . . . Maybe three of us. Every four month we will play with A* 85. Yes. What a deal.
Nubi, didn't we follow the end of your LBA?

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
@ Asahiflex:
thanks
Peter
Peter, are the 12 months passed yet?

Just kidding, of course
08-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #22
Nubi

Ah, yes. We did. I already slipped once off the wagon . . . . Bought a 28/3.5 shift for ~$500. But you see, A* 85 is an exception (among many).

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Look what you have done, Sailor:

Nubi, didn't we follow the end of your LBA?

Just kidding, of course

08-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #23
Pentaxian

@ Asahiflex:
thanks
Peter
Well, the output of the 77ltd looks very similar to the A* 85. But the FA* has the typical FA* rendering (hard to explain; you have to see it). Of all of these I like the FA* the most, but that's hardly a surprise.
08-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Look what you have done, Sailor . . . . . . . .

Just kidding, of course
I'm shameless .

Jer
08-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

Just kidding, of course
lol...
not quite yet
I'm asking out of interest
08-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There have been many posts about this over the years, which I have followed intently. The best of these had side-by-side shots, which have unfortunately now evaporated into the digital ether. My information is second-hand, but comes from the best sources.

The FA*85 is specifically designed for portraits and so is optimised for that distance and a very particular focus. Basically, it front focuses so the subject is nearer to the back of the depth of field. This means that lovely bokeh begins directly behind the subject. The necessary by-product is that sharpness is sacrificed. This is known to all who have compared with the A*85, a sharper lens at the large apertures it would likely be used at (up until at least f/4, some say f/8).

The FA*85 has an 8 element in 7 group optical formula while the A*85 and FA77 have an almost identical 7 element in 6 group construction. They are also two of the few Fixed Rear Element Extension (FREE) focusing lenses Pentax has made. But the FA77 is half the size, half the weight, more convenient and looks better too (IMO). Some even prefer the bokeh. Certainly in this regard there is little to choose between them. All of this has been achieved by sacrificing two-thirds of a stop, a most admirable compromise, since few would use f/1.4 in practical use.

FA77 also has better control of aberrations. And is a better field of view on crop sensor, IMO, being similar to 120mm FF. (Note that the lens is closer to an actual 80mm than what it is rated at.)
08-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

True; but the FA* does not show PF nearly as often as the A*. The A* even showed PF stopped down to f/5.6. I have used the FA* in numerous situations (even wide open) and I never saw any bad PF. However, the FA* tends to blow highlights easily, but that's about the only complaint I have. The FA* 85/1.4 at f/1.4 is sharper than the FA 50 at f/1.4 (I tried two copies of the FA50).
Here is an example - very extreme, I must confess, and I have not set the proper settings for the lens - it is stopped down at f2.8 as it was have been possible to stop down at f5.6 for this completely static subject;
this is a 100 % crop so it is far less visible on the original shot; but ths issue is here; I don't have a A*85 to compare though.
Note that the clarity of the image and the excellent rendering on the stones anyway Regards
08-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If you understand french... look here :
Test_85mm
It compares Pentax A*85, FA*85, FA77, DA*50-135, Zeiss 85 and Samyang 85
Attached Images

08-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
If you understand french... look here :
Test_85mm
It compares Pentax A*85, FA*85, FA77, DA*50-135, Zeiss 85 and Samyang 85
Here it is translated to english
Translation result for http://monuniverspentax.com/test_85mm_pentax.html
08-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting the link again! I knew that shootout, but I never paid much attention to it. It seems that I don't like the Zeiss and that I made a cood choice with my FA*