Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much sharpness should I expect from the 100mm Macro WR?

I found a good deal on a used 100mm Macro WR today. Being new to Macro, and not knowing the capabilities of this lens (but excited to find out!), I wonder what kind of sharpness I should expect.

I'm already finding out that I was woefully prepared for the extreme magnification - and the steadiness needed to use this lens, and can see I am going to be spending a great deal of time with my tripod from now on.

How does this look? Sharp? Should I expect better? In addition to what you see below, here is a link to the full-size jpg.

Last edited by iocchelli; 07-31-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Make title clearer
07-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Just a heads up, but you inlined the full res jpg.
How big is that dollar?
Left side is softer than right. Overall looks not too crisp, but nothing glaringly wrong. Could be lighting or alignment would make things snappier.
07-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up! Fixed now.

And thanks also for the feedback. I obviously have a LOT to learn about using this lens. The dollar is almost exactly one inch across.
07-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Uploading a shot from my k-x with the FA 100 @ f/7.1
Ignore the foreground blurred at the bottom. I don't think the metal looks much sharper than yours - it may be a limitation of the stamping - because if you look at the little threads and dirt on the coins edge, they are razor sharp(well, very sharp, maybe not razor sharp).
You just need to roll that dollar around on the floor a few times and shoot it again

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ed: clicking the pic gets to an autozoom script. The full res is at http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6139/kennedy2.jpg

Edit again to add: also, use the mirror lock up or timer or whatever the k-7 has.

Last edited by kxr4trids; 07-31-2010 at 09:10 PM.
07-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Uploading a shot from my k-x with the FA 100 @ f/7.1
Ignore the foreground blurred at the bottom. I don't think the metal looks much sharper than yours - it may be a limitation of the stamping - because if you look at the little threads and dirt on the coins edge, they are razor sharp(well, very sharp, maybe not razor sharp).
You just need to roll that dollar around on the floor a few times and shoot it again

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Haha! I love that approach! Tomorrow I hope to test it out some more. Thanks.