Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just missed a heck of a deal

Some people don't know thw value of their stiff, even now. I was looking at a local equivalent of Craigslists and someone was selling an FA 50 f1,7 (the rarest of the 1,7) for 75$ CND. the ad was one hour old. I wrote to the seller but I was already third in line... And didn't get it.

Sad. I didn't really need it since I have the F equivalent but at that price it was too good to pass.

07-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

value is more on a personal level or for how much the person would think that his/lenses would sell. this would be based on his/her use of the lens rather than their existing market price.

Vincent Van Gogh never thought that his painting would be mean much in today's world. before, he was nothing more than a disturbed fella doing some paintings in Europe.

you think he's the only one? heck no. just a week ago, there was a seller here who was selling 2 copies of the FA for around $100 bucks. I can only assume that those copies were bought more than 15 years ago and where the seller thought that it's a fair price for such an old lens. however, if a person would sell his 30 year old K2 camera for $500, we would say that the person is either insane or just a ripoff.
08-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You're right that the seller thought he was getting a fair deal. But to me that's like Europeans trading cheap necklaces for loads of furs from the indians...
08-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

There's a phrase around here that goes "It wasn't meant, otherwise it wouldn't have passed you by"

08-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
. . .however, if a person would sell his 30 year old K2 camera for $500, we would say that the person is either insane or just a ripoff.
Some one did sell a K2 for over $500 on ebay yesterday. Of course it had a K 28/3.5/ k 50/1.4 and a k 85/1.8 along with a bunch of filters and stuff.
08-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You're right that the seller thought he was getting a fair deal. But to me that's like Europeans trading cheap necklaces for loads of furs from the indians...

I that true? did my ancestors do that ?

08-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I that true? did my ancestors do that ?

Your ancestors were barely better than the Spaniards.
08-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Funny you mention this... I did see that one. I guess I have someone to fight against when searching for lens on kijiji... damn ! lol. I recently picked up a Vivitar 100mm Macro 1:1 f/2.8 for a very reasonable price. Quite a rare lens too... Glad you did not pick that one up!
Cheers fellow Québécois!

08-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Funny you mention this... I did see that one. I guess I have someone to fight against when searching for lens on kijiji... damn ! lol. I recently picked up a Vivitar 100mm Macro 1:1 f/2.8 for a very reasonable price. Quite a rare lens too... Glad you did not pick that one up!
Cheers fellow Québécois!
YOU got that??? I emailed the seller but got told he had JUST sold it.

Now I am mad...

I propose we divide the loot, instead of fight :P I did not really need the Vivitar, I already have the FA 50 macro, but at that price I figured it was worth playing with it.

Problem is you're in Montréal, where most of the sellers are, while I'm in Québec, where less people sell their stuff.

I promise if I ever see something interesting in your area, that I don't particularly want, I'll let you know.
08-03-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks mate, that is nice. I sometimes wish I was in the Québec city region, they are some good deal to be done there too.
I promise the same to you ! (two pairs of eyes are better than one I suppose!)