Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax 16-45 mm lens hood lost-what to do ?

I lost my Pentax 16-45 mm lens hood today.

Where to get a new or used one, at a reasonable price...or is there an alternative that works as well but is cheaper ?

Preferably I would like to get one in Canada...that way I don't worry about duty, etc.

Do I need one ?

Thanks for input.

07-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New ones that fit bayonet style are stupidly expensive. After buying a 16-45mm w/o hood last year, I posted a Wanted ad in the forum marketplace and was rewarded with a nice original for chump change. Also found used one at KEH but it was gone by the time I ordered it. So.....check KEH often and post a Wanted ad here is my advice.

Good luck, may take a bit using screw-on hoods but an original is out there somewhere with your name on it.

EDIT - just noticed your question....YES, you need one. Its very wide making the glass quite close to the edge and unprotected. Of course the flare and contrast is better with a hood.
08-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
New ones that fit bayonet style are stupidly expensive. After buying a 16-45mm w/o hood last year, I posted a Wanted ad in the forum marketplace and was rewarded with a nice original for chump change. Also found used one at KEH but it was gone by the time I ordered it. So.....check KEH often and post a Wanted ad here is my advice.

Good luck, may take a bit using screw-on hoods but an original is out there somewhere with your name on it.Thanks for the advice...I will follow it.

EDIT - just noticed your question....YES, you need one. Its very wide making the glass quite close to the edge and unprotected. Of course the flare and contrast is better with a hood.
I do have a 18-55 kit lens that came without a hood (standard on my KM or K2000 as known in the US)...it seems to work not too bad re; flare....but I don't use it much...nor do I use my 16-45 much either now...I use my new 12-24 mm about 95 % of the time now....mostly on my K10D.
Although I was going to use the 16-45 on my daily carry around camera...the KM.
08-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a "PH-RBL 67mm" hood.

You do need one.

It is stupidly expensive everywhere.

Look on Ebay, KEH and Wanted forums.

I might start casting these babies out of plastic soon if this keeps up.

08-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I do have a 18-55 kit lens that came without a hood (standard on my KM or K2000 as known in the US)...it seems to work not too bad re; flare....but I don't use it much...nor do I use my 16-45 much either now...I use my new 12-24 mm about 95 % of the time now....mostly on my K10D.
Although I was going to use the 16-45 on my daily carry around camera...the KM.
Well, there is very little arguement that you should use some kind of hood on most all lenses, the 18-55mm being no exception. Ahhhh...the da12-24mm, hopefully my next big buy but until then the da16-45mm is pretty nice for what my wide shots.
08-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
emr

I was quite a sceptic re: lens hoods until I saw a picture comparison somewhere on the net. It's not only about the obvious reflections of sun and other bright lights, but the general contrast improved too with the hood on. Have been using one ever since.

Has anybody tried one of those cheap rubber hoods (not what you think! ) that go to the filter thread? I have been planning to get some for my lenses. On the other hand, 16mm is so wide that I suppose it's very easy to get vignetting with a hood like that.
08-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Has anybody tried one of those cheap rubber hoods (not what you think! ) that go to the filter thread? I have been planning to get some for my lenses. On the other hand, 16mm is so wide that I suppose it's very easy to get vignetting with a hood like that.
Yes, I have a bunch of screw on hoods, both rubber and plastic, for spares and the lenses I don't have original hoods for. I guess they work the same. For the da16-45mm, instead of a very wide rubber hood, I bought a hard plastec petal and by trial and error, used a bench grinder to shape it so that 16mm had not obvious vignetting. It ended up almost exactly like the Pentax original I noticed once I obtained the original. The front element is just too close to the edge of the tube NOT to protect it with a hood even if contast and flare are not issues. My 0.02