Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
My only thought is, if your lucky enough to any where near or on the field of play, learn to shoot with both eyes open.

You a can see when fast moving objects are heading directly at you, gives you a chance of diving for cover.

08-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
My only thought is, if your lucky enough to any where near or on the field of play, learn to shoot with both eyes open.

You a can see when fast moving objects are heading directly at you, gives you a chance of diving for cover.

Thanks kerrowdown.

Keep your head up is always good advice.

Tom G
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks kerrowdown.

Keep your head up is always good advice.

Tom G
just don't get hypnotised by the ball. when it is coming right at you there is a tendancy just to sit and watch
08-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thinking of taking in a Toronto Blue Jays game against Tampa Bay next week.

I suspect my 300 or 400mm will be ideal depending on where I end up sitting.

Looking for suggestion on where to sit. I'm thinking along the 1st or 3rd base lines.

Anything I need to be aware of in advance. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Tom G
I would suggest contacting the Jay's directly to inquire what their official limits are on photo gear. Every MLB ballpark is different even at a given park it can come down to the individual checking your gear and bag.

A general rule is a 6" limit on lense length, so remove any hoods or reverse them. Another thing you might find is they use a phrase to the effect of "the use of professional photography equipment or lenses is not allowed"...just show them the Pentax logo...snickersnicker...

Be happy ya don't have any while lenses as those can be grounds for being denied even in the Uecker seats. In all seriousness, call the Jay's front office/PR folks and find out then ask for an email to confirm so you have it in writing what their limits might be.

Most of the reasons are safety for both you and other fans. but also there are the MLB licensing issues so even if you take shots, technically it's a violation to post them anywhere online...I consider it a bunch of BS but these are tips from pro shooter buddies of mine. I have been physically unable to attend a Dodger game in a decade, eh, after the past decade of Dodger teams I don't feel I missed out...munch a bums!!

Still, the most common restriction is lense length. One very popular canon lense to have is a 200mm/2.8L II (just over 5") then add a 2x adapter because that gives ya a 400mm/5.6...these days since the jay's are out of it I would hope they just don't want lense bombs and would rather let fans enjoy the game instead of worrying about a few inches of lense.

Assuming you are heading the the game in Toronto, here is the very vague statement on the Jay's page:

Rogers Centre A-to-Z Guide | bluejays.com: Ballpark
QuoteQuote:
The Toronto Blue Jays welcome cameras for the purposes of still photography provided their use does not interfere with other guests' enjoyment. Video cameras are permitted in stadium but taping of any game footage is strictly prohibited. The Toronto Blue Jays and Rogers Centre reserve the right to request that guests discontinue filming or taking pictures on Rogers Centre property.

The Toronto Blue Jays and Rogers Centre are not responsible for lost or stolen belongings. As such, we ask that guests not leave equipment unattended. Disposable cameras and film are available at concourse shops and vending machines throughout Rogers Centre.
But, again, do not assume anything here because there might be probs at the gate, or there might not...this is a case where asking and confirming permission is better than having to trudge back to the care to put your gear back in front of all the sorts looking to find such goodies people leave unguarded, vehicle alarm or not...

Best of luck and no matter hope ya have fun!!

Last edited by brecklundin; 08-06-2010 at 11:54 PM.
08-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Tom,

FWIW, I went to a local minor league game and sat in a similar spot to what you are describing. The longest lens I had was an old M150/3.5. Too short for sure, but I was still able to get some good shots. Check out these photos on Flickr for a reference to where our seats where and the resulting shots with the 150:

Our seats (16-50/F2.8):

Pitching:

Hitting:

The shots of the pitcher and home plate are cropped about 50% in each dimension to ~3000 x ~1800 or so. With that in mind, I'd image the 200 (with cropping) would be sufficient, the 300 tighter still. The 400 may actually be too long/too slow from that vantage point, but maybe not. I don't use long lenses, so your mileage will probably vary.

Good luck and enjoy the game!
08-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I would suggest contacting the Jay's directly to inquire what their official limits are on photo gear. Every MLB ballpark is different even at a given park it can come down to the individual checking your gear and bag.

A general rule is a 6" limit on lense length, so remove any hoods or reverse them. Another thing you might find is they use a phrase to the effect of "the use of professional photography equipment or lenses is not allowed"...just show them the Pentax logo...snickersnicker...

Be happy ya don't have any while lenses as those can be grounds for being denied even in the Uecker seats. In all seriousness, call the Jay's front office/PR folks and find out then ask for an email to confirm so you have it in writing what their limits might be.

Most of the reasons are safety for both you and other fans. but also there are the MLB licensing issues so even if you take shots, technically it's a violation to post them anywhere online...I consider it a bunch of BS but these are tips from pro shooter buddies of mine. I have been physically unable to attend a Dodger game in a decade, eh, after the past decade of Dodger teams I don't feel I missed out...munch a bums!!

Still, the most common restriction is lense length. One very popular canon lense to have is a 200mm/2.8L II (just over 5") then add a 2x adapter because that gives ya a 400mm/5.6...these days since the jay's are out of it I would hope they just don't want lense bombs and would rather let fans enjoy the game instead of worrying about a few inches of lense.

Assuming you are heading the the game in Toronto, here is the very vague statement on the Jay's page:

Rogers Centre A-to-Z Guide | bluejays.com: Ballpark

But, again, do not assume anything here because there might be probs at the gate, or there might not...this is a case where asking and confirming permission is better than having to trudge back to the care to put your gear back in front of all the sorts looking to find such goodies people leave unguarded, vehicle alarm or not...

Best of luck and no matter hope ya have fun!!
Thanks brecklundin

Lots of good advice here. This combined with advice from Lowell, Marc, John and a few others gives me lots to consider. I did call the Jays ticket office and asked about cameras and lenses and they indicated there would be no problem. I failed to mention my foot long 300 and even longer 400mm however. I think I'll leave them at home as I don't want to clobber the guy in front of me with them. At this point I think I'm only going to take the K 200/2.5. It should give me enough length/speed. and I don't think I'll be hassled at the gate with this one.

In any case I'm going to enjoy the day. The Jays dumped the Rays last night 2-1. Can the World series be far off?

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-07-2010 at 06:10 AM. Reason: typo
08-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
happy if any of my drivel was of some use. I rememeber being shocked with I learned there were restrictions at all. Eventually they made sense because like ya mention some would drag along a 12" monster glass, a couple tripods and gimbal heads if they could.

Sounds like you will have a fun time and get nice shots with your 200mm. It's a nice length and won't poke anyone's eye out.

Wow, the Jay's beat the Ray's? did the earth stop spinning on it's axis? naw, the bums lost AGAIN....this time to the freaking Nats!! But the whole puire decadent lifestyle of the McCourtCo's, or as I call them...The Amway Couple - all plastic 100% fake....coming into public light sure is fun to watch though. I did not like them from the moment I read he had to finance the team to buy it...I mean what in the heck? We want our team's owner to be able to buy and sell whole countries not have to use old parking lots as leverage to just make a down payment on the team.

Look forward to images ya get...
08-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
happy if any of my drivel was of some use. I rememeber being shocked with I learned there were restrictions at all. Eventually they made sense because like ya mention some would drag along a 12" monster glass, a couple tripods and gimbal heads if they could.

Sounds like you will have a fun time and get nice shots with your 200mm. It's a nice length and won't poke anyone's eye out.

Wow, the Jay's beat the Ray's? did the earth stop spinning on it's axis? naw, the bums lost AGAIN....this time to the freaking Nats!! But the whole puire decadent lifestyle of the McCourtCo's, or as I call them...The Amway Couple - all plastic 100% fake....coming into public light sure is fun to watch though. I did not like them from the moment I read he had to finance the team to buy it...I mean what in the heck? We want our team's owner to be able to buy and sell whole countries not have to use old parking lots as leverage to just make a down payment on the team.

Look forward to images ya get...

No promises about great shots but I'll do my best.

Bye-the-way the Jays rocked the Rays 17-11 today.

Hope they saved a few home runs for tomorrow.

Tom G

08-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Here are a few examples for you. This is at 300mm from the 2nd deck of Busch Stadium.

Here is 70mm from the same seats.

And 28mm to give you a little perspective as to where the seats were..

I usually take just my kit lens, and my Tammy 70-300 when I go to the ball game, it covers almost anything I would want to shoot.
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jays Beat Rays

Hi all,

Had a great time with my two sons at the Jays v Rays game today in Toronto. The Jays won the game 1 to 0 with Brandon Morrow (9-6) going the distance for the win and striking out 17 in the process. The dome was closed and the lighting was a little harsh but we did the best we could. Still processing images but here’s a few of Morrow, hero of the day, at work.

All shots Pentax K10D, SMC Pentax K200/2.5 at ISO 400. Most shot 160/sec between f 2.5 and f 4. I was glad I had the extra 2.5 speed as I don't like shooting beyond ISO 400.

I was seated on the first base side of the field just about even with the bag 24 rows up on the lower deck.

Last edited by 8540tomg; 05-22-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo
08-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

He narrowly missed a no hitter from what I hear, bummer for him !! But 17 strike outs? wow, he obviously was "on" today. Glad you enjoyed... Looks like you had great seats to watch him work too.
08-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Morrow was great today Steve. Pretty much in total control from the outset.

The downside of the 1 hitter with all those strikeouts, from a photography point of view, was the fact there were very few defensive plays to shoot in the infield.

Wells made a great run saving catch in center field and hurt himself in the process but kept the nohitter alive at the time.

That being said it was fun to watch a pitcher dominate another team like that - and a very good team to boot in Tampa Bay.

Tom G
08-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #28
Pentaxian

tom

shots look great.

Got a question about the 200 F2.5 though. I never noticed in you rnature shots, but to me it seems like the lens has reasonable logitudinal CA.

I can see green outlines behind the plane of focus.

Overall I like the last shot the best.

BTW did you get the play Aaron Hill tried on the only hit?

For action you should have gone yesterday except I don't think you would have had enough memory cards to get it all
08-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
tom

shots look great.

Got a question about the 200 F2.5 though. I never noticed in you rnature shots, but to me it seems like the lens has reasonable logitudinal CA.

I can see green outlines behind the plane of focus.

Overall I like the last shot the best.

BTW did you get the play Aaron Hill tried on the only hit?

For action you should have gone yesterday except I don't think you would have had enough memory cards to get it all

Thanks Lowell,

True, I think they used up all the hits yesterday. There were not many for either team today.

Totally missed Hill's play. Everyone was standing up in my section cheering Morrow on so no chance to shoot at that point.

I had to shoot almost wide open for much of the game and I think that would explain the CAs in this case. When used outdoors the light is generally a lot better and no CA issues at all with the K 200/2.5 under those condition as I can stop down a little more. I don't have any other lens in my kit which would have given me shots as good as these today under these conditions.

I like the last shot as well. It is not as sharp as I would have liked but he is perfectly balanced here as he was all day long.

Cheers

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-08-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typo
08-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster

brecklundin,

No problems at the gate getting the K 200/2.5 and monopod combo past the guards. Long and fast enough for most shots from the position I was in. I'm sure my M 400/5.6 or K 300/4 would not have been fast enough and would have wacked other folks in the head.

Tom G