Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is more important
Lens that can do new things 1230.00%
Lens with better image quality 2870.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 04:27 AM   #16
Inactive Account

My lens choices were all made because of their specific image rendering (i.e. bokeh, image pop, warm/cold tone, etc.).

c[_]

08-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Ok well I guess this applies more to people like me trying to build a capable collection off their kit lenses on a reasonable budget, everyone must have been there once
I'm in the same boat as you are, I think, as far as building up a collection. I chose the "does something different" option. Currently, I only have a FA 50/1.4 and an FA 35/2. The 50 was my first lens, and the 35 was different (from 50) enough for me. If I were in the market for another lens, I'd be thinking either the DA 21 or something with much a much longer focal length, maybe the DA* 50-135. It would depend on my needs, but I'd almost definitely get a focal length that I currently don't have.

That's just for where I am now in my photography journey though. I'm sure later on if/when I start doing MF more, I might chuck the 50/1.4 for a 50/1.7.
08-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm surprised by the results so far, I though it would be pretty even on both sides but option 2 has been well in the lead ever since the 3rd or 4th person voted
08-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I voted A, but it's really apples and oranges... and peaches and nectarines and kiwi fruit too, if we consider more factors. How about these choices for the question, What drives you to buy a lens?

a- Novelty, features
b- Better image quality
c- Budget budget budget
d- Collect the whole set
e- Appearance and feel
f- Antiquity, weirdness
g- None of the above

Some of these obviously overlap. For instance, my Schneider Betavaron enlarger zoom was cheap (US$70 marked down from US$3k); it looks and feels like nothing else I have; it has typical outstanding Schneider quality, and novel features (fixed-focus enlarger zoom!); and using it is just WEIRD. Or the massive, damaged 12-inch f/7 Gundlach large-format lens that produces glowing halos and soft rendering: cheap (US$3), ancient (about a century), weird (sitting at the end of 0.3m of extension tubes and bellows).

For IQ, I have a nice batch of Takumars et al. Now I'm looking for glass to do new, odd stuff. Yes, I'll admit it -- I'm a thrill-seeker, a novelty hound, an excitement addict. MORE KICKS!!

08-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would get a lens that can do new things, unless the lens you had was used all the time and was crap.