Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tokina 500mm: Is it a worth picking up for a reasonable price??

Over the weekend I saw what appeared to be a very clean, well cared for Tokina 500mm Mirror lens. It had it the hard case, three filters, and both lens caps. They were asking $80.00 for it. My thought it might be nice to have when I just can't take my Sigma 50-500mm monster on long trips. I understand it's not auto focus but I usually take a travel tripod along so that shouldn't be a big issue. I also understand mirror lenses are not the same quality. I did review the lens database so I got that to go on as well.

What do you think? Yes/No

Has anyone had any experience with this lens either good or bad?

Any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

08-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I stopped looking into older mirror lenses when I read that mirror lenses experience a decrease in reflectivity over time, so the older they are, the less light makes it into the camera. While the same thing can happen with poor quality coatings on glass elements, I get the impression the probability of coating decay is much lower, whereas mirror degredation is a long-term inevitability. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Otherwise, my impression has been that the new mirror lenses being sold today aren't the same build quality as the older ones, such as that Tokina, which at one time was on my list of used lenses to look for.
08-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

See the Mirror Lens Club in this forum for lots of examples and discussion of various mirror lenses. The Tokina is relatively well-liked.
08-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does anyone know anything about the subject Nater brings up regarding long term degredation of the mirror lenses?

08-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mirror Lens

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
See the Mirror Lens Club in this forum for lots of examples and discussion of various mirror lenses. The Tokina is relatively well-liked.
Thanks Marc,

I did and that's why I'm asking...I'm thinking $80.00 is a fair price and I had read that the Tokina was fairly well liked and to stay away from all the cheap new stuff out on the marketplace
08-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheoSixx Quote
I've not noticed any loss of function; especially regarding 'speed' of it.
The numbers I've seen for the rate of tarnish and reduction in reflectivity of a mirror is 1% per year. Discussions regarding tarnish rates of mirrors seem to come up most often with astronomy people, but I would think the principle would be the same with a mirror camera lens. If that number is accurate, your lens could be 26% less reflective than it was when you first bought it 26 years ago... out of curiosity, what have you done to measure the amount of light that comes through the lens?
08-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
Over the weekend I saw what appeared to be a very clean, well cared for Tokina 500mm Mirror lens. It had it the hard case, three filters, and both lens caps. They were asking $80.00 for it. My thought it might be nice to have when I just can't take my Sigma 50-500mm monster on long trips. I understand it's not auto focus but I usually take a travel tripod along so that shouldn't be a big issue. I also understand mirror lenses are not the same quality. I did review the lens database so I got that to go on as well.

What do you think? Yes/No

Has anyone had any experience with this lens either good or bad?

Any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Thats a decent price on a decent lens (i owned one previously). they have their uses as well as quirks
08-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

It's not like your will go to the poor house if you get it. I got a Pro-Optic version for a bit more money and it is kind of fun and handy, though with recently getting the 150-500, I use it much less.