Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
M42 adapter advice

Sorry if this subject is discussed before. A quick search (on titles at least) didn't return much, hence my new thread.

I recently picked up a M42 lens and don't have an adapter for my K200D.

Question is, for a total newbie on M42 system, what adapter would be good. Pentax branded or others? I see the Pentax branded ones more than 2x the non-branded. Is it worth that much?

Oh. And in case of Pentax branded, I don't see them in Adorama or B&H.

Thanks

Last edited by siva.ss.kumar; 08-02-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: One more question.
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should replace your keyboard with a search button that works.

Genuine Pentax adapter from the Pentax web store, only available new directly from Pentax.
08-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

M42 lenses on Pentax K

I use these without any problems at all.
08-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You should replace your keyboard with a search button that works.

Genuine Pentax adapter from the Pentax web store, only available new directly from Pentax.
My thoughts exactly. Do not complain to us about the price of said adapter. Just get it.

08-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with those that suggested the Genuine Pentax adapter.
Get it and save yourself headaches. It assures infinity focus and is fairly easy to use.
I also use the cheaper flanged adapters but only for macro or closeups.
08-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought a third party m42 adapter that works very well with my m42 glasses and didn't cost me 50$ plus like the original pentax one. I believe it is overpriced for what it is.

Nonetheless, I bought two different model off ebay and one was poorly made (not precise enough for my taste - it worked but not as well as another model I found -->). But one model is very well made and works flawlesly. My model looks exactly like this one M42 to Pentax K20D K200D K10D K100D k-m K-7 K7 Adapter on eBay.ca (item 150445953174 end time 18-Aug-10 04:48:50 EDT) (I recognize it by the writing on the top of it). Once you have removed the little spring that is on the side of it, you can attach it to your lens and basically use your lens as a K-mounted lens. When you attach the lens to the camera, it won't lock in place though (the down side of removing the spring off the side of the adapter), meaning that the lens theoratically could fall off if you turn it clockwise by accident. That has never happen to me and I can't hardly imagine how it would happen either but still. I imagine that if you use a lens with a zoom / focus ring that is very stiff, the lens could turn instead of the ring...

Anyway, using the adapter in such way is very convenient when switching lens between a k-mount lens and the m42+adapter lens because you don't have to remove the m42 to K mount adapter from the camera before mounting the K-mount lens.

Hope that it helps. I realize that my message is not as clear as it could be. I sorta wrote it in a hurry and english isn't my mother tongue ! Anyway, I don't necesseraly discourage buying third party adapter. However, if you can find an original adapter for around 30$ or less, I suppose it would be worth it.

let us know!
08-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As with kp0c, I have several infinity focus 3rd party ones but you need to remove the spring or else it may get stuck on the body. Non-infinity focus ones do enable trap-af, but have no idea how bad the focus limiting is, as it is dependent on the lens.

I also have a genuine one for days where I only shoot M42 and don't want to worry about lenses getting loose.

Last edited by Eruditass; 08-02-2010 at 02:22 PM.
08-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

We argue this over and over here. Official Pentax adapters are safe, expensive, and tedious. Cheap clones are of variable quality, but once the spring and screw are removed, they're fine; I use many of them, and have had no problems. Cheap flanged adapters are safe but you lose infinity focus; they're fine for macros and closeups where you don't care about infinity.

Back to those cheap clones, often marked BOWER. I have MANY screwmount lenses; I put cheap clone adapters on the lenses, using a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten them down. The lenses effectively become K-mount. I've almost forgotten that some of them ARE adapted. But with the cheap clones, it is VITAL that you REMOVE THE SPRING AND SCREW or else the adapter WILL stick on the camera and you WILL go apeshit trying to remove it.

Why do I use cheap clones? Because I can't justify spending US$40 each to adapt dozens of lenses that cost me US$10 each. Because when I want to swap lenses, I want to do it NOW, not after a minute of unscrewing and rescrewing. Because they work without trouble for me. Others may have had negative experiences (maybe related to NOT REMOVING THE SPRING AND SCREW) and I'm sorry for them. But I'll keep on using my cheap clones.

08-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have NEVER had an SRB adaptor stick in the camera with the spring in place, and I've got 5 of them now.
08-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

My name is Ira, and I'm a Pentaholic:

I bought two Bowers from B&H, and one wouldn't mount at all. The other didn't line up at 12 o'clock when screwed in, so the lenses were cock-eyed when mounted. I was a wreck, the tension had me beating my kids, and I couldn't maintain a decent erection.

Until I bought the genuine Pentax adaptor, and life is wonderful again.

I met Brother Tim a few minutes ago, who had metal shavings enter his body because the third party piece of sh*t he bought off eBay was SUCH a piece of sh*t that it could almost be categorized as plastic. Brother Bob's wife left him because of his tantrum from his inability to remove it. And Brother Howard is still shaking because he couldn't get his lenses to focus to infinity.

So, if you want to be jealous of us Americans who can get the real thing for 30 bucks plus shipping, so be it. If you want to bitch about the price you have to pay from the country you live in, so be it.

But please, please don't ever compare the quality of the steel and machining of the original Pentax adapter to the third party clones. It might make you feel better to do this, but it doesn't make it so.
08-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I have NEVER had an SRB adaptor stick in the camera with the spring in place, and I've got 5 of them now.
Why would you need 5 adapters, if you have to remove the lens to remove the adapter in the first place?

Wouldn't one suffice?
08-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice story Ira, although I find it a little exaggerated - but that was the point, wasn't it.
I use many m42 "piece of sh*t ebay clone adapter" as you would say, and honestly, I couldn't be more happy with them. Sure, they don't come with the plastic bag tagged Pentax and neither do they cost more than the lens I attach them to, but hey, they work flawlessly. Again, I agree that some adapter are junk, but the one I got for about 13$ are very good copy of the original and I would like to bet I couldn't tell the difference between them a the real deal, but again, I don't want to spend 50$ to confirm my assessment.
However, if one has many m42 lenses and aren't really planning on mounting K-mounted lens, then buying the real adapter would make sense, I guess.
08-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The other didn't line up at 12 o'clock when screwed in, so the lenses were cock-eyed when mounted.
Heh, I just noticed all of my $7 ones line up at 6 o'clock! Oh well, I'm patient with m42 lenses anyway.. My genuine one was close but not quite 12 o'clock.
08-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Why would you need 5 adapters, if you have to remove the lens to remove the adapter in the first place?

Wouldn't one suffice?
Because I was going to remove the springs and loctite them to the lens, but they come off too easily with the 1/3 turn without something to secure it. At least the M42 thread takes a few turns before it falls off.
08-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Heh, I just noticed all of my $7 ones line up at 6 o'clock! Oh well, I'm patient with m42 lenses anyway.. My genuine one was close but not quite 12 o'clock.
Oh they're all like that? My $7 one does the same thing.