Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With respect to a Zoom vs Prime. I'm ALWAYS going to say go Prime but I already have the 2 DA* lenses being discussed. For a typical portrait type focal length, you would be best off with the 50-135 (of the choices being discussed). For closeup stuff I could not deny the beauty of the FA31 Limited. It has a hefty price tag though but it also makes a hell of a general purpose lens. The FA77mm on the other end of that family is also a very nice lens but I find that mine spends more time in the bag than on the camera. I do love using those two lenses on my Film SLRs though.

Re your photos, The first one has an annoyingly over exposed sky (to me). A photo like that would benefit by under exposing a bit and then doing some layered post processing to bring out the couple. The other 3 photos look good to me.

08-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Please do not act like you're entitled to help. You certainly gave the impression that you were a professional photographer earlier, whether on purpose or not, so don't be surprised if people start treating you like one.
I still don't know how I gave that impression... my very first post says "new to the biz" Im sorry you if I gave you a different impression somehow.

I understand no one is entitled to help in general... but isnt this one of the reasons we have forums? I would think it'd be rather boring to hang out in a room where everyone knows everything.

I'm just going to take the advise of a previous and very wise poster and ignore the things that are riling me up. Im pregnant and hormonal and shouldn't be asking for help right now if I don't know which avenue I want to go down. Prime or zoom... prime or zoom..

Last edited by Mom2Gage; 08-03-2010 at 04:23 PM.
08-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #63

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Was that so difficult? Those shots are GORGEOUS.

But based on your questions in this thread, who the hell would know your level of proficiency?

I can't believe you may have been concerned about posting those here based on their quality. And sorry if my post here isn't mean enough to meet your expectations of my meanness.
You're right. It's really not mean enough for my expectations, and for that I am thankful.
08-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #64
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mom2Gage Quote
Also, you said you were jumping ship on page one. So just do it already!
Is this the attitude we can expect from your future posts? A dainty prima donna who no one is allowed to criticize?

I'm a liberated male who believes women have equal rights to men, except some women think I'm being "mean" to them, and don't really want equal rights at all.

Okay--now I understand.

08-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #65
Ira
Inactive Account

You're right. It's really not mean enough for my expectations, and for that I am thankful.
Too late.
08-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #66

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Too late.
Oh good lord....
08-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #67

Original Poster
Hahahaha!!!! Now this.. this is just funny. Prima donna.. don't want equal rights for men and women... all that from a few words? You really are brilliant, huh?

Wow.. Thanks for brightening my day.. that was great.

Thanks, Master Trashtalker
08-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mom2Gage, there are cynics and critics on every forum, there are also people who think they know a lot but actually can't shoot for nuts. Best not to let them get to you.
You've posted some nice photos and you've certainly done well using the gear that you have. Most working pros that I know will only consider buying gear that will add something to their repertoire.
Most importantly, it must pay for itself. So find the gaps in your lens lineup and invest in the best that you can afford but always watch your cash flow.

The DA* 16-50mm and DA* 50-135mm as some have recommended would cover the bulk of your needs, though I do think a versatile lens like the DA 35mm Macro Limited would be good for a close-ups with subjects like wedding rings and hands.

08-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #69
Pentaxian

I'm going back to my original recommendation of the FA77. As a portrait photographer that shoots Pentax, this lens is truly made for you. Although there is nothing wrong per se with the photos you posted, the FA77 would give them the warmth and "soul" that they lack. Don't take my word for it, go to the Pentax Photo Gallery and use the search tools to look at the photos they have from the 77. You'll see what I mean. It's not all about sharpness with portraits (though it can be plenty sharp when you need it to be), it's about "magic". The most quantifiable way to describe magic is rendering, and that's where the 77 shines.
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Since you already have a "fast fifty" and a "nice ninety", I'll assume you want something those lenses do not deliver. So get the FA43 Limited, the most distinctive lens Pentax makes. "3D effect", "magic pixie dust", whatever you want, it's got it. Shoot at f/4 for maximum sharpness, second to none.

The FA77 is another great choice since the focal length may be more useful.

Buy both and see what you like.
08-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #71

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Mom2Gage, there are cynics and critics on every forum, there are also people who think they know a lot but actually can't shoot for nuts. Best not to let them get to you.
You've posted some nice photos and you've certainly done well using the gear that you have. Most working pros that I know will only consider buying gear that will add something to their repertoire.
Most importantly, it must pay for itself. So find the gaps in your lens lineup and invest in the best that you can afford but always watch your cash flow.

The DA* 16-50mm and DA* 50-135mm as some have recommended would cover the bulk of your needs, though I do think a versatile lens like the DA 35mm Macro Limited would be good for a close-ups with subjects like wedding rings and hands.
Thanks, creampuff. I do have a macro areadly, so I've narrowed the field to those exact choices.
08-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #72
Site Supporter

The title pretty much says it all! I'm a portrait photographer who is fairly new to the biz but expanding... I do studio and outdoor shots with occasional weddings.

Most immediately is the want for a new lens!

Here is what I have:
standard 18-55 kit lens
50mm 1.4
DA 55-300mm 5.8
Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro

I was toying with the idea of buying a new prime... or possibly a fisheye (but that would be more to play with I assume)... but really open to anything that will help me with my growing business as well as my love of the hobby.
My concerns are sharpness, speed, low light capabilities would be nice...

Thanks!

You already have a 50/1.4 and 90/2.8 macro to serve as general/close-up/portrait lenses.

IMHO, unless you want to get longer fast lenses (ie. 135mm, 200mm), "subject isolation" short-teles (ie. 77ltd; 85/1.4) (they are so close to the 90/2.8 ) or general coverage lenses (16-50/2.8; 17-50/2.8; 50-135/2.8)
You really are not lacking anything.

Fantastic pictures btw