Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 04:03 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
so the only thing to go for IMO, is either the FA31 or Sigma 30.
or wait and see what the samyang 35 f1/4 is like. supposedly due out this year - maybe at photokina?

08-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
or wait and see what the samyang 35 f1/4 is like. supposedly due out this year - maybe at photokina?
an AF would be good.
08-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a spending limit?
08-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #34
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IMO the FA 31 is over priced... at that focal length for portraits I'd suggest the Sigma 30 1.4 instead. If anything it's sharper in the center than the FA 31.

08-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We all wanna do portraiture but what kind are we talking about?
Headshots, half-body, full length, environmental, location, studio, weddings, etc.???
Portrait shooters have used everything from ultra wide to long telephoto and everything in between. Until the TS can be specific, any lens recommendation is really a shot in the dark.
08-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
We all wanna do portraiture but what kind are we talking about?
Headshots, half-body, full length, environmental, location, studio, weddings, etc.???
Portrait shooters have used everything from ultra wide to long telephoto and everything in between. Until the TS can be specific, any lens recommendation is really a shot in the dark.
I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough for you, this is my first post ever to this forum. I usually just lurk because there are always a few forum people that scare me, regardless of what the forum is about.

Right NOW I shoot 50% newborns, 20% families, 20% maternity, and 10% weddings. (I JUST started venturing into that) 80% of my business right now is done in the studio.
08-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mom2Gage Quote
I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough for you, this is my first post ever to this forum. I usually just lurk because there are always a few forum people that scare me, regardless of what the forum is about.
most people's bark is worse than their bite
QuoteQuote:

Right NOW I shoot 50% newborns, 20% families, 20% maternity, and 10% weddings. (I JUST started venturing into that) 80% of my business right now is done in the studio.
OK now we are getting somewhere.

For studio work, longer focal lenghts can be a problem if you r studio is somewhat on the small side, so a 31 could make sense.

BUT longer focal lengths are much more flattering because to get the same image size you are further back, and you do not get the same perspective distortion that shorter focal lengths cause when you are in close.

You also said you are usually in close, is that because of the focal lengths you are shooting, or because of a specicif effect you are trying to get. Again, a longer focal length will get you further back from the subject, and this can be less imtimidating for them, But.... it has to suit your style. My personal like is for the longer fcal lengths and outdoor portraits, but that's just me talking.

08-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #38

Original Poster
Usually my newborns don't complain too much about me being all up in there business.

The more and more I think of it, a better quality zoom would be most beneficial I think for shooting anything other than newborns. It's hard to choke that statement out due to the pure enjoyment I get from primes.

My kit lens just doesn't produce the quality I seek. My studio is tiny, but I'd be using this zoom both indoor and out.
What zoom would you folks suggest?
08-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Both the 16-50 and the 50-135 are truly excellent. It really just depends on what range would be most useful to you. The 50-135 is the more obvious choice for portraits, but maybe not for your situation. Hard to go wrong between these two, though.
08-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #40
Veteran Member

If 80% of your work is done in a small studio, it seems like a prime would be better for you. If you like to keep the camera on the tripod and not move it around at all, that changes things.

As for a zoom that you want to use indoors and outdoors, it'll need to be fairly wide at the wide end. Would you still be doing portraiture in the great outdoors as well? Maybe a zoom in the 20-70 range would be good for you. I do not have any specific suggestions because I have never considered a zoom in this range (for me, I would want a zoom 50+).

Of course, you could get an all-in-one lens like the 18-250...
08-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #41
Veteran Member

The DA*16-50 has had some quality control issues and of course the lingering SDM problems still haunt it, but for all the different uses you're describing I'd really give it a look. It's a very versatile lens that I've used for weddings and photojournalism, while at the same time it can produce some beautiful images under the right conditions, with nice colors, contrast, sharpness and a nice smooth out of focus background at lower apertures. Since you're planning on using this lens with your lighting setup, you should be able to stop the aperture down to f/4 or higher, where the DA*16-50 really comes into its own.

Plus, at 50 mm, it can perform pretty well as a traditional headshot taker as well:

08-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #42
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mom2Gage Quote
Usually my newborns don't complain too much about me being all up in there business.

The more and more I think of it, a better quality zoom would be most beneficial I think for shooting anything other than newborns. It's hard to choke that statement out due to the pure enjoyment I get from primes.

My kit lens just doesn't produce the quality I seek. My studio is tiny, but I'd be using this zoom both indoor and out.
What zoom would you folks suggest?
If you're an actual working professional, you're actually asking these questions?

Can you post some of your photos here so we can see where you're coming from?
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #43
Inactive Account

not to thread jack or anything, but..

how does the IQ compare between the 77ltd and the 50-135?
for studio lit portrait work at say f8-11
08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
not to thread jack or anything, but..

how does the IQ compare between the 77ltd and the 50-135?
for studio lit portrait work at say f8-11
I've never used the DA*50-135, but at that aperture I would think the difference between those two lenses would be minimal.
08-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If you're an actual working professional, you're actually asking these questions?
This is exactly why I avoid forums.

If you're going to be mean, just don't respond on my post at all.

The only question I had in that post was which zoom would people suggest? What exactly makes me an idiot by asking that?