Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mom2Gage Quote
This is exactly why I avoid forums.

If you're going to be mean, just don't respond on my post at all.
just ignore things like this, and move on. it isn't worth it. Everybody is prone to occasionally ask very direct questions, and the fact that you have a growing business does not imply yoju know everything, otherwise you wouldn't ask
QuoteQuote:
The only question I had in that post was which zoom would people suggest?
With respect to a zoom, if all you intend to do is stop down, then it almost does not matter, they will all be sharp at F8 as someone else pointed out. BUT the reason people like primes is because you can shoot wide open, or faster than the zooms available, and use the shallow DOF to isolate subject from background, or to set a mood in a portrait, perhaps with one person sharply in focus the other soft and out of focus. This is where fast primes excel, and you have a fast 50mm, so start playing wide open and see what the results are that you get. These will be considerably different than any zoom can produce.

08-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Can you post some of your photos here so we can see where you're coming from?
And I have to submit a photo to prove Im a real photographer?
08-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And I have to submit a photo to prove Im a real photographer?
You could interpret it that way. But it would also give people a feel for the kind of work you do which might lead to a better recommendation.
I can't speak for that poster, but it could just be a direct question rather than an attack.
08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
just ignore things like this, and move on. it isn't worth it. Everybody is prone to occasionally ask very direct questions, and the fact that you have a growing business does not imply yoju know everything, otherwise you wouldn't ask.
Thank you! My feelings exactly.

08-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
You could interpret it that way. But it would also give people a feel for the kind of work you do which might lead to a better recommendation.
I can't speak for that poster, but it could just be a direct question rather than an attack.
I wouldnt have taken it as an attack if the first question wasn't basically calling me an idiot.

If that question weren't there, I would have happily posted a few examples
08-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #51
Ira
Inactive Account

The only question I had in that post was which zoom would people suggest? What exactly makes me an idiot by asking that?
Your questions are all over the road. And if you're going to say I'm "mean" for pointing that out, so be it.

Your lens questions were incredibly ambiguous at best, not to mention your current equipment, which could hardly be considered a pro set-up. Yet you say you're a pro.

So I asked you to post a few photos here.

This site is full of incredible photographers doing amazing stuff who are NOT pros. Yet you say you are, you have no idea what lens to buy, and you won't post any photos.

Sorry, but saying you're a "pro" just doesn't cut it here, without any photos to back it up.
08-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
With respect to a zoom, if all you intend to do is stop down, then it almost does not matter, they will all be sharp at F8 as someone else pointed out. BUT the reason people like primes is because you can shoot wide open, or faster than the zooms available, and use the shallow DOF to isolate subject from background, or to set a mood in a portrait, perhaps with one person sharply in focus the other soft and out of focus. This is where fast primes excel, and you have a fast 50mm, so start playing wide open and see what the results are that you get. These will be considerably different than any zoom can produce.
Are there any zooms that come even close to the things I love in a prime?

That may be the dumbest question Ive had to date, so Ira, just walk away.

08-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Your questions are all over the road. And if you're going to say I'm "mean" for pointing that out, so be it.

Your lens questions were incredibly ambiguous at best, not to mention your current equipment, which could hardly be considered a pro set-up. Yet you say you're a pro.

So I asked you to post a few photos here.

This site is full of incredible photographers doing amazing stuff who are NOT pros. Yet you say you are, you have no idea what lens to buy, and you won't post any photos.

Sorry, but saying you're a "pro" just doesn't cut it here, without any photos to back it up.

Im sorry... WHEN did i say Im a pro? I am not. I am a whole lot closer to a beginner. Beginner who just BARELY started a business. Charging hardly anything whlie i learn. I started (photography, not the biz) with barely ANY knowledge, but a clear "eye" for it.
Been building from there.

What is so wrong with this??????
08-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #54

Original Poster
Also, you said you were jumping ship on page one. So just do it already!
08-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Are there any zooms that come even close to the things I love in a prime?

That may be the dumbest question Ive had to date, so Ira, just walk away.
The 50-135 comes very very close to the DA70 in image quality. I can't pick the difference and I own both.

But if what you love about a prime is the light weight and small size, then no, no zoom with reasonable image quality comes close to a prime. To get quality in a zoom you are going to have to get a bigger and bulkier lens. Luckily the DA16-50 and the 50-135 aren't too big as to be unmanageable.
08-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #56

Original Poster
A few shots... hope I'm decent enough to post here!
I know these aren't perfect and could use a bit more editing, but its what i had that was easily accessible
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Mom2Gage; 08-03-2010 at 03:31 PM.
08-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #57

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The 50-135 comes very very close to the DA70 in image quality. I can't pick the difference and I own both.

But if what you love about a prime is the light weight and small size, then no, no zoom with reasonable image quality comes close to a prime. To get quality in a zoom you are going to have to get a bigger and bulkier lens. Luckily the DA16-50 and the 50-135 aren't too big as to be unmanageable.
Thank you.. I will definitely look into those! I don't mind size too much..
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #58
Pentaxian

I don't think the recommendations are going to change much from the beginning of this thread. If you're looking for a nice zoom, everyone is going to suggest the 50-135 and 16-50, Pentax's current top-of-the-line zooms. If you want a high-quality prime, everyone is going to suggest FA and DA Limiteds, where Pentax excels.

The only difference your subject matter and shooting style makes is focal length, meaning should we recommend an FA 31 or a DA* 200? Both are excellent lenses, but produce very different images.
08-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #59
Veteran Member

The only question I had in that post was which zoom would people suggest? What exactly makes me an idiot by asking that?
Please do not act like you're entitled to help. You certainly gave the impression that you were a professional photographer earlier, whether on purpose or not, so don't be surprised if people start treating you like one.

It's just very hard to answer your questions because they're scattered, random and ambiguous. I'm not entirely sure you yourself know what you want in your next lens.

I think your best bet is the lens review database where no one will be mean.

Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax DA Series Zoom Lens Reviews and Specifications

Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax DA Series Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications

The DA15, 35, 40, 55, FA77, DA12-24, 16-45, 16-50, 50-135, 60-250 are the lenses I recommend you to look at and read the reviews of.
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #60
Ira
Inactive Account

A few shots... hope I'm decent enough to post here!
I know these aren't perfect and could use a bit more editing, but its what i had that was easily accessible
Was that so difficult? Those shots are GORGEOUS.

But based on your questions in this thread, who the hell would know your level of proficiency?

I can't believe you may have been concerned about posting those here based on their quality. And sorry if my post here isn't mean enough to meet your expectations of my meanness.