Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

49mm filter on the kit lens, how much vignetting?

All my threads are 49mm, except the DA 18-55 WR and I need a circular polarizer.

Instead of getting a 52mm filter and using step ups on all my other lenses, I would much rather get a 49mm filter and use it on the lenses (especially the DA LTD's) like it was supposed to be used and not have to use step up rings, and just use a step down ring on the kit lens, which will only be used in inclement weather now that I have the 2 LTD's.

Does anyone have a 49mm filter and a step down ring to test the vignetting in this situation? I would greatly appreciate it

I'm not buying any other lenses for a long time and if I were it would be the DA 70mm so I don't think that buying 77mm filters just for the sake of future proofing is necessary just yet.

08-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're only going to use your 18-55 for inclement weather as you say, do you think you really need a CP in the first place?

And if so, a step-down ring from 52 to 49 is dirt-cheap, so give it a shot.

Also, if you ever get into the older manual Takumars (and others) like many of us here, there's no problem at all, since they're full frame. No vignetting.

But if I was going to go nuts and spend top dollar on a CP, not the crappier stuff, I would buy the largest diameter and use the step-up rings.

However, the damn lens hoods make things so complicated. And that's why I still love my Cokin system, although my Cokin clone CP is no great shakes.
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If you're only going to use your 18-55 for inclement weather as you say, do you think you really need a CP in the first place?
Good point, mostly I'd use the kit lens while snowboarding, regardless of what's actually falling from the sky. Last trip it was really sunny and one of my pictures with the naked kit lens had some odd darkening gradient in the sky and someone said that it would have been made better with a CP, that's the kind of situation I'm talking about
08-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Good point, mostly I'd use the kit lens while snowboarding, regardless of what's actually falling from the sky. Last trip it was really sunny and one of my pictures with the naked kit lens had some odd darkening gradient in the sky and someone said that it would have been made better with a CP, that's the kind of situation I'm talking about
I'm no expert, but I feel a CPL is more likely to accentuate than to neutralize a color gradient, because CPLs are known to cause those. A CPL is more for overall image hue and contrast.

08-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

CPL on DA Ltd.

I just bought a 49mm CPL for use on my DA21, and I want to emphasize that the lens hood situation is a serious bummer. I got a nice Marumi off ebay that's quite thin, but cannot use the lens hood and the lens cap is too snug. I'm a little worried of about damaging the lens cap by forcing it over the filter, so that means taking the filter off all the time, which is time consuming.
That said, my pictures turned out awesome, but I still wish I had considered this before buying.
08-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by harmonica2 Quote
I just bought a 49mm CPL for use on my DA21, and I want to emphasize that the lens hood situation is a serious bummer. I got a nice Marumi off ebay that's quite thin, but cannot use the lens hood and the lens cap is too snug. I'm a little worried of about damaging the lens cap by forcing it over the filter, so that means taking the filter off all the time, which is time consuming.
That said, my pictures turned out awesome, but I still wish I had considered this before buying.
Why don't you get one of those $6 metal screw-on caps? I put my DA35 Ltd cap away and use a metal screw-on instead. That way I can leave a filter on and still use a lens cap. BTW, I just got that same Marumi filter.

As far as a hood goes, you could use a 49-28mm step-down ring and cap it with a 28mm metal screw-on cap. (A while back someone on this forum posted about using step-down rings as hoods for certain lenses, can't remember who, but he recommended this setup for the DA21.)
08-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #7

More info on step-down ring

I think I found the post you are referring to. Just so no one is confused, he recommends a "thin" Sonia brand 49-37 step-down adapter and then a 37 to 30.5 step-down adapter.
I love the twist-lock design of the stock hood and cap, so I may just put up with the inconvenience of putting on the filter when shooting landscapes. But it's nice that there's an option if my CPL becomes a go-to item.
08-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
All my threads are 49mm, except the DA 18-55 WR and I need a circular polarizer.

Instead of getting a 52mm filter and using step ups on all my other lenses, I would much rather get a 49mm filter and use it on the lenses (especially the DA LTD's) like it was supposed to be used and not have to use step up rings, and just use a step down ring on the kit lens, which will only be used in inclement weather now that I have the 2 LTD's.

Does anyone have a 49mm filter and a step down ring to test the vignetting in this situation? I would greatly appreciate it

I'm not buying any other lenses for a long time and if I were it would be the DA 70mm so I don't think that buying 77mm filters just for the sake of future proofing is necessary just yet.
I didn't have a step up ring but I did have a UV and CPL filter on one day and I notice quite a bit of vignetting. My other filter is probably thicker than the setp up ring you will probably get a bit of vignetting.

08-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey thanks for that link, I actually just bought that, I forgot about those Marumi filters and didn't know where to buy but that seemed perfect so I just pulled the trigger on the spot.

As for the vignetting problem, I don't want my nice CP to get damaged so I'll probably buy a cheap 52mm to use in situations where I'd need a WR lens to start with
08-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by harmonica2 Quote
I think I found the post you are referring to. Just so no one is confused, he recommends a "thin" Sonia brand 49-37 step-down adapter and then a 37 to 30.5 step-down adapter.
I love the twist-lock design of the stock hood and cap, so I may just put up with the inconvenience of putting on the filter when shooting landscapes. But it's nice that there's an option if my CPL becomes a go-to item.
Yes, but over here SOldBear wrote about using a 49-28mm. The photos shows the 49-28mm on the FA28 and FA50. But ... there was yet another thread where SOldBear says he uses a thin 49-28mm on the DA21. I wish I could find it, but so far, no joy. I guess SOldBear did some experimenting with different step-down rings.