Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
How do you figure?

The Sigma 30mm in EF mount has HSM and is cheaper than the Pentax mount version.
Differences in supply and demand makes comparison across mounts difficult. Better to compare within the same mount, where there exist OS and non-OS or HSM and non-HSM versions of the same lens. You really pay a pretty hefty premium in dollars and weight on most of the lenses that come in multiple versions. Although it's hard to get a good comparison even there, because in most cases with OS, it's also a different optical formula.

08-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The reason I'm not impressed with HSM/SDM is the added likelihood of AF failure... not to mention the longer focus hunting compared with screwdrive lenses.

Once SDM is faster than screwdrive counterparts and more reliable than what the track record has been for previous lenses, then I'll be more interested.
I'm with you, Ash. Aside from being quieter (and that's not really a big deal for me), I haven't found a reason to believe HSM/SDM is a meaningful improvement.
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm with you, Ash. Aside from being quieter (and that's not really a big deal for me), I haven't found a reason to believe HSM/SDM is a meaningful improvement.
Quiet is a big deal if you are shooting events like weddings. It was a big reason I went for the DA17-70 over the non-HSM Sigma which was, at the time cheaper and performed comparably.
08-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Quiet is a big deal if you are shooting events like weddings.
I can appreciate that but since I don't do weddings etc it's nbd, afaic. And my hearing is fading anyway: although my daughter tells me the camera really does beep when focus is achieved, I've never heard it.