Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x and the Tamron 17-50mm

Just wondering, has anyone had the focusing problem with this combination? I'm quite tempted to pick up this lens, but there are quite a few reports of the tamron having this focussing problem due to poor QC or whatever, and it's not just the 1/million bad copy report either, so I just want to make sure that I won't get screwed over with one.

08-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #2

The best option is to buy from a store that pays for return postage on faulty items. Or, if you're close enough to one that stocks Pentax-mount lenses, buy from a retail store. That way even if the lens is a dud you won't end up out of pocket on the return.
08-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
The best option is to buy from a store that pays for return postage on faulty items. Or, if you're close enough to one that stocks Pentax-mount lenses, buy from a retail store. That way even if the lens is a dud you won't end up out of pocket on the return.
Trouble is, the only local store that stocks the Tammy is a good $100 more expensive than if I bought it on Adorama/B&H online
08-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This lens has QC issues in general... has nothing to do with the body you use it on. I'd either buy from a seller you can do an easy exchange with (B&H, Adorama, Amazon), or buy a used one that's known to be sharp without adjustment.

08-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #5

i just tried 2 copies with on k-7, both of which had focus issues even with the in camera focus adjustment. i had to return them and pay the shipping myself. Not sure about if i will try the 3rd copy or not. but considering the DA*16--50 is only around $200 more expensive, you may want to buy the DA* instead.
08-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shang Quote
i just tried 2 copies with on k-7, both of which had focus issues even with the in camera focus adjustment. i had to return them and pay the shipping myself. Not sure about if i will try the 3rd copy or not. but considering the DA*16--50 is only around $200 more expensive, you may want to buy the DA* instead.
How do you perform a focus adjustment?
08-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
How do you perform a focus adjustment?
I don't think you can with a k-x, it's a k-7 feature for lens focus correction.
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I have this lens with a k-x. Not only is it fast, it is also bloody sharp. It's like getting a bag of primes, and where I come from where the da*16-50 costs almost twice, it's definitely providing me with more value than its cost.

It is known to have front/back focusing problems with some copies. Therefore it's great if you can go retail, and test out your copy with a focusing chart on the spot.