Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Takumar Bayonet Zoom 4.5 80-200mm

Is there any love for this lens?

It's heavy and I've heard the occasional comment that it is not very sharp, but the internet seems to be devoid of discussion of this lens!

Takumar 80-200/4.5 Bayonet

I replaced another cheapo tele with this one and while my shoulders complain I think it's a pretty nice lens. So I'm throwing it out to you! Spot the problems!

200mm, 4.5, 1/500, ISO 400, Handheld

Last edited by paperbag846; 10-27-2010 at 11:55 AM.
08-03-2010, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't give this lens much love, but I do for the A 70-210mm! The availability of a macro function on it is great, and I think that it is also very sharp.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't give this lens much love, but I do for the A 70-210mm! The availability of a macro function on it is great, and I think that it is also very sharp.
Thanks for the recommendation. That looks like a very nice lens... albeit 5 times what I paid for mine .

What don't you like about this one? I'm actually pretty impressed with the bohke for a cheap zoom (not to say I'm some sort of aficionado)

Last edited by paperbag846; 08-03-2010 at 01:44 PM.
08-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The Takumar bayonets are not well regarded because they don't read "SMC" so people assume they are junk. Sometimes they might be. I played with the Tak bayonet 135 mm f2,8 and found it very good, altough not very contrasty wide open. I also played with the Tak bayonet 28 mm f2.8 and it was a great little lens, extremely reliable and delivering great colours. It's no patch on my DA 21 LTD but it's quite good.

long story short, if you enjoy the pics that lens delivers, then by all means use it and spread the joy!

08-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think there is rather an exaggerated antipathy toward the Takumar (Bayonet) lenses, because they degrade the Takumar name. Let's face it, the "proper" Takumars represent some of the highest quality (certainly in terms of manufacturing) lenses ever made, and the "Bayonets" are merely entry-level Pentax lenses, with only single coating.

Also, examples such as the 135mm f2.5 appear on ebay at very inflated prices, adding to the bad feeling.

Well actually the above lens isn't that bad - it's not too bulky, and is reasonably sharp, stopped down. But since it's so soft wide open, you're better off with a decent f3.5 (whether Takumar, Pentax or CZJ, to name a few), especially if you get one with multi-coating.

So by all means buy a "Bayonet" - just don't spend too much!
08-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
the "proper" Takumars represent some of the highest quality (certainly in terms of manufacturing) lenses ever made, and the "Bayonets" are merely entry-level Pentax lenses
Correct, but the MF Tak bayonet primes are as well made as SMC-M lenses.
08-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Agreed, bdery, but I would venture to suggest that the M42 Takumars are significantly better made than the M-series lenses.

I can't think of any lens that focuses as silkily as a "proper" Takumar, and that certainly includes all subsequent Pentax-branded lenses.
08-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone - it jives with my thoughts.

This lens is not the best one I own, it may even be the worst (kit, SMC A 28 2.8, SMC K 50 1.8) but it's fast enough for nature walks and the coatings really aren't that bad. In the price range this is the best lens I've used, and as long as I'm not shooting into the sun, IQ is often indistinguishable from better lenses.

Just wanted to get the word out - you can find these things for next to nothing and they take pretty sharp pictures compared to similar cheapo telephotos from the era!