Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UV Filters

Is there a list of Pentax lenses and the size of UV filters they accept? I have the 40 mm pancake lens and the 50-200 WR, is there a UV filter for these and does that prevent the use of the lens caps they came with?

08-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

UV filters come in many makes and sizes. The filter size is shown on every Pentax lens, and filters are purchasable to size.
For any lens you may be considering purchase, look into the specifications of the lens and filter size is nearly always shown, depending on the seller.
Hoya is one the most recommended makes of filters, though cheaper makes are available.
You will find, almost invariably, the lens cap still fits on the lens (+filter) without difficulty.
Many photographers just leave UV filters on the lens permanently, for protection against lens damage.

Hope this helps.
08-04-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Is there a list of Pentax lenses and the size of UV filters they accept? I have the 40 mm pancake lens and the 50-200 WR, is there a UV filter for these and does that prevent the use of the lens caps they came with?
Our lens database shows the filter size for each lens:

Pentax Lens Review Database - Lens Listings

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

(This is my first posting within these forums!)

If you're into the idea of protecting your lenses with a UV filter (and I'm certainly in that camp), then probably the most important consideration is flare resistance. Don't be tempted to buy a UV (or Haze) filter that is not MULTI-coated.

There's a great website that deals with UV filter testing:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

I'd urge you to visit thsi website, because it's come up with some very interesting results.

Hope you find that helpful!

06-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I'm still trying to figure out what UV filters to put on the 21, 40, and 60 pancake lenses. I'm doing this to protect the lens, but given the build-in hoods, is this necessary? The first two seem to be clear: a 43mm on the 21mm lens and a 30.5mm on the 40mm lens. Correct?

I can't seem to take the hood off the 60mm lens (does it unscrew? - I have applied pressure, but don't want to break it off). If the hood does come off then should I use a 49mm filter? If so, will the hood still fit after the filter is on?

Thanks for help, Patrick
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I presume you mean the 70mm (not 60mm...). Yes the hood does unscrew. Don't grip it like you would a jar top. Put your forefinger inside and your thumb outside so you are gripping it through the thickness of the metal, and rotate anticlockwise - should come away quite easily. If you grip it round the outside like a jar lid it flexes enough to bite into thead and appears stuck. It's a 49mm thread, and the hood screws onto the front of the filter, so if you go that way make sure your filter has a front thread. However, if you leave the hood on with no filter it protects the front element better than most.
06-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patricklgv Quote
I'm still trying to figure out what UV filters to put on the 21, 40, and 60 pancake lenses. I'm doing this to protect the lens, but given the build-in hoods, is this necessary?
It's *never* necessary. But yes, the hoods make the lens that much less susceptible to accidental damage. Whatever the possibility of damage that the filter would have prevented, a hood will prevent most of that too - again, for any lens.

QuoteQuote:
The first two seem to be clear: a 43mm on the 21mm lens and a 30.5mm on the 40mm lens. Correct?
Only if you put the filter on the outside. I suspect this would degrade the IQ even more than putting it under the hood.

QuoteQuote:
I can't seem to take the hood off the 60mm lens
Presumably you mean the 70. Yes, it unscrews. Grab it from the base, not the telescoping extension.

All of these lenses, and many of Pentax's other primes, take 49mm filters. So does the 50-200 WR, but the other version of the 50-200 take 52mm filters. This info is in the lens db, also on this useful site:

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page
06-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Many people recommend that you don't use a filter, because it can't improve your photos, and can only detract from image quality.

Having said that, I sympathise with anyone who can't bear the idea of having to clean dried-on salt spray etc. etc. from their valuable lens's front element. In fact, there are many of us who do think this way, so it's worth considering what's available regarding UV filters.

I think that, assuming you choose a reputable brand, the only thing you have to worry about is the additional flare that a filter will add to your images. For this reason, the filter must be multicoated. In "normal" lighting situations I don't believe it would be possible to detect the presence or otherwise of a such a filter, BUT don't expect to be problem-free at night, if there are bright lights about. Even with a high quality multicoated filter, it's best to remove it for those shots.

06-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Inactive Account

UV filters

Yes, I did mean 70mm.
Yes, the hood did remove per your suggestion.
And all is well - filters now on all three lenses.

Many thanks for your help, Patrick