Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Old Glass on K7?

I have been wanting to experiment with older lenses on my K7, mostly just out of curiousity. I was about to pick up a SMC M 50mm F2 for pretty cheap, then i found that my roomate has had an old Pentax SLR in his closet since he moved in! Turns out he has 2 primes, the 50mm that i was about to purchase and then another (i cant remember) 135mm Pentax, ill have to look when i get home again.

Now my question is, what do i have to do to get the k7 to recognize the lens? It seems that when i put it on the camera it wont let me take a pictard(as if a lens wasnt attached). Is there a setting i have to mess with in the menu? I was also informed that some vintage glass requires an M42 adaptor but im pretty sure that just enables you to run a scremount type of lens...right?

I have tried giving this a search and havent really found much information. Hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction

08-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's how: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109325-help-old...ml#post1126663

You have to enable a custom function that allows use of the aperture ring.

The screwmount adapter is only for screwmount lenses, but the procedure for shooting with those would be the same as for manual K-mount lenses.

Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by XeroX Quote

I have tried giving this a search and havent really found much information. Hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction
Learn to search harder.

1) You have to have it set for "Use Aperture Ring PERMITTED." For the really old fully manual lenses, you'll see "F--" because the lens can't communicate the aperture to the camera, but the "F--" shouldn't flash. Your aperture info will not be recorded in the EXIF data, and of course, you have to manually change the F stop via the lens.

2) M42 adapters allow you to use M42 lenses.

3) For fully manual lenses, you have to shoot in Manual or Av mode. In M mode, you set your aperture, and you have to assign your green button to a function I can't remember now for the K7 which locks in the shutter speed and keeps your exposure there, unlike Av mode, which will constantly change as you point the camera at different things.

4) M42 lenses in Av mode, depending on your camera and mileage, can WAY underexpose (2 stops!), like it does on my K-x. So many of us find M mode easier and more reliable.

5) I don't own any manual K lenses, but I THINK that in Av mode, they only shoot wide open, so you have to use M.

If I forgot anything, just ask.
08-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Never occured to look in the New Q&A'S! Haha, thanks

08-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Never occured to look in the New Q&A'S! Haha, thanks
I'll tell you one thing:

Shooting with the older manual lenses like the Takumars is a BLAST. You should really enjoy it.

Also, go to the Lens Club section and look for the Takumar Lens Club. There are hundreds of pages there, so just start with the last page, look at a few of the prior ones, and then take it from there.

Of course, if you have a month to spare, you can go through ALL of the pages!

HAH!!!

When you go there and know the specifics of your lenses, please post them. And make sure they're Pentax lenses and not something else:

Some lenses have something called a "Ricoh Pin," and if you put it on your DLSR, you won't be taking it off any time soon! It gets stuck on there! But if you have one of these lenses, like a Sears brand, there's an easy fix.
08-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am very excited to get an oportunity to mess around with old lenses. I really CANNOT make my mind on what to buy to accompany my kit 18-55. So i am hoping by picking up some cheap "vintage" glass i may be able to experiment and get a feel for what i need.

That and its just kinda cool to be honest! haha
08-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is also a sticky thread at the top of the Beginner's forum with more info on using manual lenses.
08-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Learn to search harder.
Is there any truth in the rumour that a manual comes in the box with some cameras?

08-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

I am very excited to get an oportunity to mess around with old lenses. I really CANNOT make my mind on what to buy to accompany my kit 18-55. So i am hoping by picking up some cheap "vintage" glass i may be able to experiment and get a feel for what i need.

That and its just kinda cool to be honest! haha
I highly, highly recommend you go this route:

1) Spend $30 and buy the original Pentax M42 (screwmount) adapter from their Web Store. Once you have the adapter, the world is your oyster.

2) Spend $100 (or less, depending on where) on an M42 Super Takumar or Super Multicoated Takumar 50 1.4. A fast, glorious lens, and the prices of the old Takumars just keep going up and up.
08-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I heartily agree with all of the above - you will have a huge choice of quality lenses to choose from, at a fraction of the cost of a new lens.

A few points:

1. I would be very careful that you ensure the M42 adapter you acquire is the genuine Pentax article; the one you're after should be inscribed "ASAHI PENTAX" and "Japan". It's the only one that's been correctly designed, and there are horror stories of jammed-on lenses when 3rd-party adapters have been used.

2. I often have trouble with getting spot-on focus with manual lenses (my eyesight isn't perfect!), especially when I'm checking out lens sharpness etc., but it occurs to me that the K-7 has Live View, which could be used to check for accurate focus (especially if you can zoom in). Also, presumably, Live View gives a stabilised (post-SR) image, which would further help.

3. Regarding the Rikenon-P lenses: DO NOT use one of these on your camera if the dreaded pin hasn't been removed. However, don't be put off Rikenons - the 50mm f2 is the sharpest lens I know, and if you do get a Rikenon-P with pin, it's easy to remove. Simply unscrew the 4 small screws holding the back flange onto the lens (be sure to use the correct PHILIPS screwdriver), remove the flange, remove the pin and put it back together. A 5 minute job, if that.

Regarding some vintage lenses to look out for, and to avoid:

1. The Pentax SMC-M 135mm f3.5 is a lovely compact lens that performs very well (and there are plenty of other very good - but larger - 135s out there).

2. The Super-Takumar and Takumar Super-Multi-Coated 35mm f3.5 is an M42 lens which performs even better, and is again beautifully compact.

3. Just about all 50mm lenses are great value for what you get - especially the more ubiquitous f1.7s and f2s.

4. In general, avoid vintage zoom lenses, they don't usually perform very well, are heavy, and are a pain when it comes to operation with SR (you need to keep updating the camera on estimated focal length).

5. Beware of the Takumar (Bayonet) lenses - they're lower quality than the proper Takumars - they're really more like an entry-level Pentax lens, without the super-multi-coating, and with inferior optics. Having said that, if you can get them appropriately cheaply, they're really not that bad.

Finally, when doing your shopping, try to look for descriptions that include the words "fungus-free", "clean optics", "smooth-focusing" etc., otherwise you may end up disappointed.

Good hunting!
08-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

4) M42 lenses in Av mode, depending on your camera and mileage, can WAY underexpose (2 stops!), like it does on my K-x. So many of us find M mode easier and more reliable.

5) I don't own any manual K lenses, but I THINK that in Av mode, they only shoot wide open, so you have to use M.
Both of these points are true, with the additional note that Pentax-K and Pentax-M lenses meter quite nicely in M mode. At least they did on the K-7 that I demo'ed several months ago. (If I ever get myself a job, I gotta get me one of those cameras.)

Steve
08-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
3. Regarding the Rikenon-P lenses: DO NOT use one of these on your camera if the dreaded pin hasn't been removed. However, don't be put off Rikenons - the 50mm f2 is the sharpest lens I know, and if you do get a Rikenon-P with pin, it's easy to remove. Simply unscrew the 4 small screws holding the back flange onto the lens (be sure to use the correct PHILIPS screwdriver), remove the flange, remove the pin and put it back together. A 5 minute job, if that.
Just wanting to add that the M42 Rikenon are perfectly safe as are XR Rikenon. The Ricoh-brand lenses with the "pin" all have a prominent "P" on the aperture ring. There are third party lenses with the pin and those are harder to characterize. Many are cross-compatible with Pentax-A to make things more confusing.

3. Just about all 50mm lenses are great value for what you get - especially the more ubiquitous f1.7s and f2s.

4. In general, avoid vintage zoom lenses, they don't usually perform very well, are heavy, and are a pain when it comes to operation with SR (you need to keep updating the camera on estimated focal length).
Not all 50s are that great. The Pentax-M and Pentax-A 50/2 is a so-so performer with a different optical design than the faster 50/1.7. Given a choice the f/1.7 is a better lens and much better value.

Regarding vintage zooms...The comment regarding weight is often enough quite true. They usually are all metal construction with all glass elements. OTOH, optical quality can be quite excellent. The Pentax-A 70-210/4 is an excellent lens and a great value. Manual focus Vivitar Series 1 70-210 have cult status. Tamron SP and many Adaptall-2 zooms from the 1980s also are great performers. Check out the various "club" threads to see what I mean. As for SR with non-AF zooms...It is not that big of an issue. I usually set the SR to about 1/3 of the zoom range and am usually happy with the results.

Steve
08-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

We need an article, with a different title.

I raised this in the suggestions forum but have not taken the time yet to write it.

the thread title should be

Will this lens work on my camera?

this does not mean that the other stickies are not good, but the title, while perhaps correct, does not catch the eye properly.

there are just too many posts where the OP starts with this question, even with the stickies to ignore the fact the title is wrong.

Maybe on my hoilidays.....
08-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I agree, I did try to spend some time searching and "browsing" through the stickies and I honestly just passed up the thread that would have answered some of my questions. Oh well, cant expect everything to be perfect on online forums...at least the info is HERE, just have to get used to where to look and familiarize yourself with the way everything is organized.

I really appreciate all the help and insight! I am very fortunate to have found this forum, I have learned quite a bit so far...

I have opened up a new thread regarding some goodies i found (one including a 50mm 2.0 SMC pentax M that my room mate had sitting in his closet! Anways, i had some questions. It would be more suitable to i guess move those answers to this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/109915-found-s...questions.html
08-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

2. I often have trouble with getting spot-on focus with manual lenses (my eyesight isn't perfect!)...
Enable "Catch-in focus" (C35). Learn about it from the manual. Works great...

BTW: Looking back... it's easy to get carried away buying pre-DSLR lenses. You have tons of choices and individually, they are pretty cheap, but it adds up quickly. Personally, if I had it to do over again, I would have saved my money for only one example, an FA 31, and been done with it. The 31 would have been the anchor around which I built my kit. It would have been followed by a DA 15, then D FA 100 MACRO WR. Only after shooting for at least a year (Yes, it takes some discipline) with these three lenses would I consider filling any gaps that might emerge. YMMV...

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 08-06-2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: follow-up thought