Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Cheap Occasional-Use ND filter?

Anyone think this ND is okay for occasional use?

Marumi 52 ND8 52mm ND 8 MC Multi-Coated Filter Japan - eBay (item 370285783721 end time Sep-01-10 00:27:19 PDT)

Ive seen tests that low quality filters can really hurt your photos but I'm looking for a cheap ND filter or two just to have in the toolbox, I've had ideas about slow shutter in daylight and no surprise haven't been able to get the Aperture low enough

I just got a CP from that seller after I saw a few people here had bought from them, and the price is right, i'd probably get two just to really be able to get creative but would still like to keep the price down

08-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I've also bought Marumi CPLs from oeccamera and been very satisfied with the seller and the product (those Super DHG CPLs are the shiznit!).

The only thing to check with the seller is that this particular ND filter is a glass filter, as many of the super-cheapies are plastic with variations in thickness or curvature that distorts your image. But even then, not all plastic filters are bad, since Singh-Ray sells some plastic filters and everyone raves about them (the Vari-ND)! I tend to trust Marumi as a brand (unless its a knock off, of course), although their M42-Pentax K adapter isn't great...
08-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it is certainly a good idea to keep a good ND8 filter in the bag for achieving slow shutter effects in the daytime.
several months ago i was looking into the same thing and picked up a different set, i believe from this same seller. I got Visico filters and they were very inexpensive.
well, i used them exactly twice and upon reviewing the images, everything looked a little blurry to me with the filter and sharp when i remoived it. Mine also imparted a very obvious greenish cast which could be mostly corrected in ACR and/or using a grey card.
I eventually purchased a cokin holder and some Hi-Tech and Cokin square filters to do this job and they are completely neutral in color and my pictures stay sharp.
Again, this is a different brand, so i cannot speak for it but good luck.
08-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
it is certainly a good idea to keep a good ND8 filter in the bag for achieving slow shutter effects in the daytime.
several months ago i was looking into the same thing and picked up a different set, i believe from this same seller. I got Visico filters and they were very inexpensive.
well, i used them exactly twice and upon reviewing the images, everything looked a little blurry to me with the filter and sharp when i remoived it. Mine also imparted a very obvious greenish cast which could be mostly corrected in ACR and/or using a grey card.
I eventually purchased a cokin holder and some Hi-Tech and Cokin square filters to do this job and they are completely neutral in color and my pictures stay sharp.
Again, this is a different brand, so i cannot speak for it but good luck.
Finally:

Someone else besides me saying something nice about Cokin.

08-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How many .9/ND8 filters would I realistically need to pull off 1 or 2 second exposure in mid daylight? I just did a little test and I don't think 2 filters + a CP would do the trick....
08-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kenko makes "Zeta" ND filters that are glass and super coated. They're a bit more expensive than the Marumi though.

58mm Zeta ND8 Filter
08-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
Kenko makes "Zeta" ND filters that are glass and super coated. They're a bit more expensive than the Marumi though.

58mm Zeta ND8 Filter
Naw for the price of one of those I'd rather get 3 of the marumi ones just so I could really go crazy with the effects
08-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So you guys don't feel there is any reason to go to the DHG level for beginners? I'm thinking about grabbing one of these too..just not sure if I should get an 8x, or a 2x and 4x.
If I put those together do I get a 6x or an 8x equivalent?

08-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
How many .9/ND8 filters would I realistically need to pull off 1 or 2 second exposure in mid daylight? I just did a little test and I don't think 2 filters + a CP would do the trick....
assuming these are not top quality filters, once you begin stacking filters, you amplify the flaws of the glass as well as the color cast.
08-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Depends on the aperture you want to use. This 2 second exposure was shot midday with direct sun in the shot (on the rocks and water) at f11:

That's with one ND filter, an LCW FaderND mk2. I think I had it set on or near "max" density, since its variable. What's nice about the variable ND is that you can see what your doing until the moment you want to slow it down with a twist of the filter ring!

You can get them here on the Bay.
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Depends on the aperture you want to use. This 2 second exposure was shot midday with direct sun in the shot (on the rocks and water) at f11:

That's with one ND filter, an LCW FaderND mk2. I think I had it set on or near "max" density, since its variable. What's nice about the variable ND is that you can see what your doing until the moment you want to slow it down with a twist of the filter ring!

You can get them here on the Bay.
Well I'd like as much control over the Aperture as possible, anywhere from wide open to probably f/11 or so. I'd like to keep my apertures within the sweet spots instead of causing diffraction but then I'd have to compromise image quality by adding more filters instead
08-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Anyone think this ND is okay for occasional use?

Marumi 52 ND8 52mm ND 8 MC Multi-Coated Filter Japan - eBay (item 370285783721 end time Sep-01-10 00:27:19 PDT)

Ive seen tests that low quality filters can really hurt your photos but I'm looking for a cheap ND filter or two just to have in the toolbox, I've had ideas about slow shutter in daylight and no surprise haven't been able to get the Aperture low enough

I just got a CP from that seller after I saw a few people here had bought from them, and the price is right, i'd probably get two just to really be able to get creative but would still like to keep the price down
Where are the links to the tests you have seen that show the low cost filters showing negative impact on photos?

Thanks,