Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

DA 12-24mm f/4: regular or slim filter?

I am thinking about polarizer filter for my newly acquired DA 12-24mm lens. It is going to be B+W filter.

Which version shoud I get? Does DA 12-24mm require slim filter or regular version would do?

08-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I am thinking about polarizer filter for my newly acquired DA 12-24mm lens. It is going to be B+W filter.

Which version shoud I get? Does DA 12-24mm require slim filter or regular version would do?
Depends if you intend to use another filter with it. If so, get the slim. I have slim polariser and slim ND110 on a sigma 10-20, even together you don't see the filters at 10mm. If either were not slim you'd see it.
08-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a regular polarizer you are likely to get some vignetting when you are shooting at 12mm. I've read that a thin one will elminate this. Personally, I think it's a 50/50 choice. A thin filter becomes a pain when you want to put a lens cap on. Mostly, I'll just remove the vignetting in PP and it's really only at 12mm, while the rest of the time it's not a problem.
08-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have found review of Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 where it is used together with regular B+W polarizer. There's very minor vignetting in the very corners of images taken at 12mm. Such vignetting definitely would bother me much less than inability tu use regular lens cap with slim filter.

08-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had the DA 12-24/4 for about 2 years now. I also went out and picked up a CPF filter, after a lot of research and did pick up an ultra thin - a Nikon PL2 Circular Polarizing Filter II 77mm (unfortunately) which is no longer made (Nikon stopped making filters altogether about a year ago). If you can find a Nikon filter - pick it up as it is a wonderful filter, well worth the price - the equal of B+W or any other top of the line filter.

You do have to be careful with how you apply the filter though. In images with lots of sky, you will get variable polarization across the frame due to the extremely short focal length of the lens (see below along with the link - with examples). In discounting the sky, water reflections and other applications - its wonderful and excellent. I have never had a problem with vignetting with the lens, with or without the filter.

From the first link - luminous-landscape.com...

"There are two issues to keep in mind when using a polarizing filter and a wide angle lens. The first is that the angle of polarization varies continuously with the angle from the sun. With a lens wider than about 28mm (in 35mm film terms) the sky will be unevenly polarized. Some pundits therefore suggest not to use a polarizer with ultra-wide lenses. Nonsense. If you like the effect, go ahead and use it.
The second issue with polarizers and very wide-angle lenses is the thickness of the filter. By their nature polarizers are thick filters because they have a double ring — the first of which mounts the filter to the lens and the second which is the rotating polarizing element itself. If the lens is wider than about 24mm, when used at small apertures the edge of the ring can cause vignetting at the corners of the frame.

The solution is to buy a "thin" polarizer. These are made by B+W and Heliopan, among others. Their downside is that they are even more expensive."

My advice is to consider how you plan to use the lens and thus the filter, and consider the sky effects. If you plan to primary use the lens for landscapes with lots of sky and are heavily bothered by the unevenness of the polarization - then you may wish to skip the CPF. You are the photographer!

[edit] - The standard front lens cap works with this Nikon thin filter - no problems. Also, the filter comes with an outstanding plastic storage case. Its just a nice touch.

hope that helps...

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.
08-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #6

I have the 12-24 and the slim mount B+W CPL and I'm real happy with it (so happy I replaced all my other CPLs with B+W versions). Since it is a slim mount, you can't use the traditional pinch mount lens caps. The B+W will come with a press on lens cap but it won't stay on for long.

What I ended up getting is one of the neoprene hood hats from OP/Tech. It stays on, seems to protect, and doesn't seem to scratch the surface of the CPL filter.
08-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got a regular B+W CPL and haven't noticed all that much vignetting, but then I rarely use it on the 12-24. I found the variance in the sky far more of a problem than vignetting, it can be a big problem so I usually don't use anything like that with it.
08-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

No problems either with the Marumi slim CPL on my 12-24.
No noticeable vignetting to speak of.