Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lenses Lenses Lenses...

Ok the Nikon Gear is all Gone and the K7 with the 18-55WR arrived today! It is just sweeeeet, I love it already and haven't even fired the shutter yet! Feels lovely in the hand and I'm really excited about it! Ok then Lenses, I had a thread started about tentative first steps into what to get and listening to advice I have hopefully got the following on the way: Pentax 12-24mm F4 DA If the deal I struck on a new one holds true (or the Siggy 8-16mm I'm fully aware of the Pentax 8mm thing!) , Pentax 100mm F2.8 DFA and a 200mm F2.8 DA*. (Got a three week wait for those two!) My budget is nearly blown but luckily for me my other half has said I can get one more Prime to fill the 16/24-100mm Gap. Attracted to limiteds but if there is a better 40-50mm ish Lens around I'd appreciate the advice...

08-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you substitute the highly-regarded but not WR Tamron 90 macro for the DFA 100, you would have an additional $275 to pop toward your Ltd of choice.

Of all your choices, I have only the 12-24 which is an excellent range and provides great results.
08-04-2010, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

I was looking at lenses too, I put together this chart to compare pentax models that are in production because I was really bored.

Prime Lenses
Name:  Primes.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  35.3 KB

Zooms
Name:  Zooms.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  24.5 KB
08-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do the trend lines indicate?

08-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
What do the trend lines indicate?
Generally, the more expensive, the better the forum rating (which may or may not have to do with image quality). IINM a lens located below the line means "great deal" and above the line means "a little more expensive than its rating".
08-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That's a great graph!

Or graphs...

For the record, and the OP, the 18-55 WR is an extremely capable lens, you'll like it.
08-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I was looking at lenses too, I put together this chart to compare pentax models that are in production because I was really bored.
Those are interesting but for data-peeping purposed I would start the x-axis at 7.5 for both charts to keep the slope consistent between them.

Edit: Actually, both axes should have the same values, then it would be consistent.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-05-2010 at 12:22 PM.
08-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
Ok the Nikon Gear is all Gone and the K7 with the 18-55WR arrived today! It is just sweeeeet, I love it already and haven't even fired the shutter yet! Feels lovely in the hand and I'm really excited about it! Ok then Lenses, I had a thread started about tentative first steps into what to get and listening to advice I have hopefully got the following on the way: Pentax 12-24mm F4 DA If the deal I struck on a new one holds true (or the Siggy 8-16mm I'm fully aware of the Pentax 8mm thing!) , Pentax 100mm F2.8 DFA and a 200mm F2.8 DA*. (Got a three week wait for those two!) My budget is nearly blown but luckily for me my other half has said I can get one more Prime to fill the 16/24-100mm Gap. Attracted to limiteds but if there is a better 40-50mm ish Lens around I'd appreciate the advice...
That's easy.. FA43 f1.9 or DA*55 f1.4 if you're looking to stick with Pentax and we're spending Your money. A lot will swear by the FA50 f1.4 but personally I've never cared for it.

08-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Generally, the more expensive, the better the forum rating (which may or may not have to do with image quality). IINM a lens located below the line means "great deal" and above the line means "a little more expensive than its rating".
Thats right, the trend line would indicate the "value" of a lens or the intersect between utility and price. I separated primes from zooms because people obviously have very different expectations between these categories of products.

I think IQ is the highest component of pentax forum rating while other components would be mainly size/weight, WR/not, Macro/not, and SDM/screw. For zooms I think the focal lengths are also a major component.

If I were a manufacturer or dealer I would want to be as close to that line possible because that would maximize revenue and hopefully profit.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
For the record, and the OP, the 18-55 WR is an extremely capable lens, you'll like it.
I intentionally omitted 18-55 and fish eye because they are really kind of unique and specialized and therefore not subject to the same influences as these lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Those are interesting but for data-peeping purposed I would start the x-axis at 7.5 for both charts to keep the slope consistent between them.
The data exhibits Lake Wobegon effect because it is skewed toward the high end. Take a look at dpreview's camera ratings sorted by rating and you will see that almost every camera is rated above average or higher.
08-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
Get the FA43LTD, FA77LTD and FA31LTD.

After you take your first pics with each of these lenses you will be hooked.

There's pixie dust in these 3 lenses. Trust me on this.
08-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice arrangement of data, though the correlation is quite weak in the primes - it doesn't seem important to separate the two sets of data; all pooled together would have given a more robust trend. The subjective differences in primes vs zooms would seem no more varied than people's differing opinions of any given lens.

In any case, it does show that generally (yet quite loosely) the more expensive the 'better' (subjectively) a lens, but there are numerous exceptions to this rule...
08-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Get the FA43LTD, FA77LTD and FA31LTD.

After you take your first pics with each of these lenses you will be hooked.

There's pixie dust in these 3 lenses. Trust me on this.
Easy vouch for this widely appreciated fact.
I tried the 77 first, loved it; the 31 next, loved it even more; and now the 43, just adore it as well.

Every single exposure with these lenses have been keepers for me...
08-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Easy vouch for this widely appreciated fact.
I tried the 77 first, loved it; the 31 next, loved it even more; and now the 43, just adore it as well.

Every single exposure with these lenses have been keepers for me...
+1!

I have yet to shoot my 77ltd but 31+43 are just beautiful lenses so I'm sure 77 will be too... Alternatively if on budget, I'd recommend F/FA50/1.7! One of the best bangs for the buck in Pentax K world IMO.
08-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fa50-f1.7

Had a look around for secondhand today including "the bay" and couldn't find one! Well it's either that or a 43 then?
08-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Well... if you want to shot some portraits, 77 is the one among FA ltd.
If you want 40-50mm, the 35mm ltd macro (I own one), 43mm ltd (I own one) and 40mm ltd (on my wishlist) are there to get....

But, if budget allow, get the FA ltd. they are just ... special. Welcome to Pentax~