Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New DA*55mm or Amazon Aberration?

Just shopping for no reason and noticed the DA*55, the one sold by Amazon, is shown as not released yet with a gawds awful $1500 MSRP but a "Cart Price" of what it normally is, about $625 these days. Still the shows as "This product has not been released....you may pre-order....blahblahblah...".

So, is this a sign there was a change in part number for the lense and potentially a new version or, and most likely just an Amazon aberration and error on their part?

Amazon.com: Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Prime Standard Lens w/ Case for Pentax…

08-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like an Amazon thing as posters here have reviewed it. B&H, and I assume Adorama, have it.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-04-2010 at 07:12 PM.
08-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Looks like an Amazon thing as poster here have reviewed it. B&H, and I assume Adorama, have it.
I agree, it could be just an Amazon error. But the fact that B&H and Adorama have is not cogent as they could easily have old stock. Unless you are refering to the fact that other vendors show up on the page on Amazon as having it in stock? I am assuming this is what ya mean?

Maybe i was just hoping it was a sign of something new in a month or so...
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #4

Looks like an error on Amazon's part, under product details it says:

Date first available at Amazon.com: September 22, 2008

I doubt it would say that if it was a different part number or SKU.

It looks like the same lens is available at Adorama and B&H.

08-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Just shopping for no reason and noticed the DA*55, the one sold by Amazon, is shown as not released yet with a gawds awful $1500 MSRP but a "Cart Price" of what it normally is, about $625 these days. Still the shows as "This product has not been released....you may pre-order....blahblahblah...".

So, is this a sign there was a change in part number for the lense and potentially a new version or, and most likely just an Amazon aberration and error on their part?

Amazon.com: Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Prime Standard Lens w/ Case for Pentax…
Wasn't it the new DA*55 for 645D?
08-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Wasn't it the new DA*55 for 645D?
That 645D one's an f/2.8, but interesting theory

But the plot thickens when you click through and see that J&R have the DA*55 listed as a "Clearance item."

Dah, dah, daaaaah.
08-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The prices on Amazon change often, and often they are completely ridiculous. The DA40 is being sold by one seller for over $800. Next closest is almost $500.

08-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
The prices on Amazon change often, and often they are completely ridiculous. The DA40 is being sold by one seller for over $800. Next closest is almost $500.
hehehe....dude, we all are pretty experienced about Amazon, it's not a secret but shhhhh, don't tell anyone just in case "they" are watching...

Really, it is funny how pricing can change but often it is when Amazon and the larger 3rd party Amazon Marketplace sellers run out of stock that the off the charts price sellers pop up...in fact Amazon is actually working to stop such outrageous prices by posting a notice when a listed price exceeds historic pricing (or it might be MSRP pricing I forget). but they flag the listing in a nice way so shoppers can see it and be informed. If they still choose to buy, well, so what, everyone gets paid the customers gets what they wanted and can't say they were "cheated"...it's hard to be cheated if you are informed...unless you cheat yourself that is...

But the pricing we are talking about is either an Amazon error or there is something happening with inventory drops of a given lens and also sudden increases, from Amazon in this case...it's likely an error but could also be a sign of some sort of change coming. We'll see....but trust me, few if any folks around here are unaware of Amazon's tactics by this time as they do it on everything on the site. Bugs me no end as well...such are the times.