Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Great results with the lens. I have had mine out only a couple of times and it has been cloudy both times but it gives far better results than my old 28-300 Sigma. I will have to work at it quite a bit to get up to your standard. I find it will focus quite fast when in autofocus mode without too much searching. I have not tried the Macro feature on anything just yet but I can see by your shots that it does a good job for a long lens.

I am glad you are happy with it.

08-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, Brian, I guess it's easy to be hard on your own shots. From where I'm sitting, I'm jealous of the giraffe shot. I think it has a crsipness I haven't quite yet reached with my own lens.

You mentioned not using the macro much yet. I think it works pretty well, but the depth of field is naturally quite brutal because of the long focal length it requires. As much as I like the brightly-coloered macro flower I posted, I feel bad because there's no way I could have gotten the whole thing in focus. Even if there were more light and I could have stopped it down all the way, it might not have focused all the petals at macro distance. The near/far blur effect is neat, but what if I didn't like it?

I aimed for a similar effect with this macro shot. I was just goofing off and ended up getting one I thought was pretty cool. Our cat was too fixated on a bird out the window to care about getting his picture taken. I'm not saying the compostition is great, but it is a good primer in DOF effects. Being so close with a wide open lens, the DOF is so thin that both corners of his eye are blurry, but the pupil is sharp.

190mm, 1/250s, f/4.5, Macro from 3ft (short end of the range)

But whether I'm looking at your pictures from my point of view, or you mine, the cheaper Sigma seems to be pulling its weight. I, for one, feel satisfied. =)

Last edited by aerodave; 08-29-2007 at 04:14 PM.
08-29-2007, 05:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
I did opt to keep the non-APO. I decided that I'm not getting any undesirable effects in my shots. And while I do notice a slight softening at 300mm, it's only bothersome if i obsess over it. Everyone else I know thinks the shots are great, even when I'm upset I can't count the hairs on the honeybee from 50 yards =)

I've hit some of the local parks recently to find nature to shoot. Here are a few samples the I've taken in my couple weeks with the lens. Ive tried to get a fair sampling of various zooms at the long end, as well as different shutter speeds. These are all handheld with SR on, shot in JPG, with minimal tweaking sometimes to get the color balance right.

190mm, 1/500s, f/8, somewhere around the macro/normal border

210mm, 1/60s, f/8, in the Macro range (Makes me love the shake reduction!)

250mm, 1/800, f/8

300mm, 1/1600, f/6.3

I'm still learning how to use this thing, but I'm happy to be able to get shots like this with my limited experience.
Am I the only one that can't see the photos??
08-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I see no photos as well!

08-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They were up earlier, but I guess my ISP is stingy with bandwidth. Too many views, and I've exceeded my quota.

I'll fix it, but can't from work. They'll be back up this evening. Sorry
08-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All right. I fixed the hosting, so the pics should remain working. Google is cool and Time Warner sucks. What else is new?
08-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

:::cringes::: I see can't see 'em
08-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fixed for real this time...I swear. I'm not an idiot, surprisingly. I just play one on the Web.

08-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Well worth the wait!! Great shots and I am kind of kicking myself that I didn't go ahead and order that lens when I ordered my kit! ....and now my budget won't let me
08-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianK Quote
I tried some with the DA 50-200 and they were not much brighter so I am more and more pleased with the Sigma.

Giraffe
I beleive exposure makes things brighter, not the lens.
08-30-2007, 05:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I beleive exposure makes things brighter, not the lens.
I took his comment to mean "bright" as opposed to "dull", not bright as opposed to dark.

Because the Sigma has a noticeable, but not too bothersome, loss of contrast at the longest zooms. It's minor enough to be easily adjusted in PP. And accordinig to Sigma's MTF charts, the APO doesn't perform all that differently in regards to contrast. Same kind of drop at 300mm.
08-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #27

That is what I meant. It has to do more with the overall contrast/brightness of the images. The DA 50-200 delivers a very colorful and good contrast image. The Sigma line, at least the ones that I have used tend to have a little less contrast, especially in poorer lighting. The 17-70 is the exception to this. IMHO

That is why I was supprised to find the Sigma 70-300 and the DA 50-200 turned out very similar results under the same shooting conditions, very poor lighting because of the weather. I found similar results on a trip on the MV Uchuck from Gold River to Kyuquot on the coast of Vancouver Island. On the trip up the weather was sunny and it was easy to get good images. On the way back it was overcast and even raining a bit and both lenses had trouble delivering nice images. I could have played around with settings a bit more but was more interested in enjoying the trip. There was so much to see that I racked up over 500 frames in 2 days.

I still like my Sigma lenses and have purchased an 18-125 as a walk around lens. I find the 17-70 is a great lens but a bit short for my shooting and a bit heavy to have around your neck all day.
If I am looking to go with the lightest kit I will take the Pentax lenses.
08-31-2007, 06:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm sold. This will be my next lens... and I won't even have to break the bank or feel guilty about it
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to hear you've made a decision, Colleen. I'm certainly much more at peace with my purchase after seeing more of my own and others' shots.

Also, I'm really eyeing the DA 40mm Limited lens, and the money I saved on my telephoto might just help me justify that purchase. But after that, that's it for a while. I can't make this a habit.