Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax-A 50mm f/2 Focus Broken?

I have recently been playing around with this manual prime lens on my K-x. I am having some trouble getting it to focus, and I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong, or something is wrong with the lens.

The specific problem I am having is that I am not able to focus on anything that is beyond 3 feet away from the lens. I have to almost get within inches, then adjust to infinity for anything to be clear. Setting focus to the corresponding distance on the ring does not work. Everything beyond 3ft can only be adjusted from slightly blurry to completely blurry throughout the range. Aperture changes don't seem to help either.

Does this sound like the lens issue I think it is?

Last edited by ShiftR; 08-04-2010 at 08:14 PM.
08-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShiftR Quote
I have recently been playing around with this manual prime lens on my K-x. I am having some trouble getting it to focus, and I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong, or something is wrong with the lens.

The specific problem I am having is that I am not able to focus on anything that is beyond 3 feet away from the lens. I have to almost get within inches, then adjust to infinity for anything to be clear. Setting focus to the corresponding distance on the ring does not work. Everything beyond 3ft can only be adjusted from slightly blurry to completely blurry throughout the range. Aperture changes don't seem to help either.

Does this sound like the lens issue I think it is?
One of two things is probably happening. A: The focus ring is loose or B: Someone has taken the lens apart and didn't put it back together right (or even completely) which could present a third possibility. C: The lens was reassembled or the focus ring tightened in the wrong spot.

Does the focus ring Stop when you get to either extreme?

Either way, fixing it will require you to remove the retaining ring holding on the front element if I remember correctly. There are 3 screws under there that can be loosened (or tightened) so that you can adjust the focus.

08-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The ring does stop on either extreme. Hmmm, I may attempt to do that. This being one of my first manual lenses, I am somewhat leery about taking it apart, but I guess I can't mess the focus up any more than it seems to be. Thanks for the tip!