Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
6 Pack of BUDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

Are you nuts....a 6 Pack...I'll give you my 31,40,43,50,70 and girlfriend for a 6 Pack of BUD!!!! Geeeezzzz what is happening to this world of ours. R U out of your friggin mind or what???
Wieser, not the green stuff!

The two of them together sound like most of my college weekends.

08-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Who cares about brick walls? Get out and take some real photos!
I second that statement
08-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Looks fine to me.. Take it off the tripod, turn SR back on (or not) and go take some pictures. You'll stop questioning your purchase at that point.

FA 31mm Limited - a set on Flickr

08-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Surely there's something between a brick wall and one of Ben's models that the OP could shoot-- maybe an average lookin' lady?

08-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #20
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm also done shooting brick walls, just no character in them at all.
But seriously there isn't meaningful value to doing these kinds of tests given the number of variables involved in getting 'scientifically valid' results. And in the end, they don't count for much - the true value of the lens is in the difficult-to-measure aspects like microcontrast, colour rendition and 3D effect.

As everyone else has been saying, go out there and shoot some real life stuff and see the difference between your 31ltd and any of your other lenses.
08-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #21

On the other hand, there's typically a 14 day return window. The warranty may be of little use since dud lenses have been called "within specification"(even if it is fixable/fixed, you've lost the lens for probably a month). In which case you are either stuck with a lens you don't like, or you take a loss and sell the subpar lens to an unsuspecting forum member for a small loss. As a consumer, rather than a photographer, I say shoot all the bricks you like.
08-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Exactly, kxr4trids. I am still within the return window and wanted to test the new lens in a variety of ways. The brick wall test is one another member of this forum mentioned to me a month or so ago when I was asking about how to tell if I have purchased a "good" copy. I was looking for advice from some of the more experienced users on the forum. In fact, that other member suggested I take such shots and post them on this forum for feedback. The lens seems just fine with the random other shots I have taken, and wanted to try a more controlled test.
08-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Edmund Quote
Exactly, kxr4trids. I am still within the return window and wanted to test the new lens in a variety of ways. The brick wall test is one another member of this forum mentioned to me a month or so ago when I was asking about how to tell if I have purchased a "good" copy. I was looking for advice from some of the more experienced users on the forum. In fact, that other member suggested I take such shots and post them on this forum for feedback. The lens seems just fine with the random other shots I have taken, and wanted to try a more controlled test.
Of course then again, I may agree with you, but I'm just an argumentative guy who doesn't have the expertise or a copy of the lens to tell you whether or not the results are good or not.
I see a little softness in the lower right, but I don't think it's significant enough to indicate a problem with the lens. Could even be the camera wasn't perfectly square with the wall.

Only thing that stands out is that F22 has better edge sharpness than F5 and F7.1 I don't think it indicates a problem, but it is a surprise after so much reading about how things go downhill (with any lens) after F11

08-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I'll give you my 31,40,43,50,70 and girlfriend for a 6 Pack of BUD!!!!
I'm in. And I will even leave you your girlfriend.

By the way, coming from Quebec as you do, you do know that Bud is about the worse beer money can buy around here, right? I'll send you a 24-pack or Alexander Keith, Boreale, Belle Geule or anything else for those lenses
08-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had decentered lenses before so I can appreciate the use of a brick wall for testing for it. These pictures are not helping my own desire for this lens - I bought the DA 35 macro instead of waiting until I could afford this one and have been quite happy. I haven't shot any brick walls with it (haven't found a need to test for this problem as the lens doesn't otherwise show any signs of decentering) but looking at your pictures, especially the f1.8 one, is making me feel bad that I didn't hold off and wait for it.

Note to self - do NOT look at any more threads featuring the FA 31!
08-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I've had decentered lenses before so I can appreciate the use of a brick wall for testing for it. These pictures are not helping my own desire for this lens - I bought the DA 35 macro instead of waiting until I could afford this one and have been quite happy. I haven't shot any brick walls with it (haven't found a need to test for this problem as the lens doesn't otherwise show any signs of decentering) but looking at your pictures, especially the f1.8 one, is making me feel bad that I didn't hold off and wait for it.

Note to self - do NOT look at any more threads featuring the FA 31!
If brick wall shots are doing it for you, then you've got it bad!