Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Can you tell me how long should I keep trying and how gently is gently? I don't want to take a chance and break my new camera. I've sent a message to customer service at Pentax to see if they can take the lens off; what do you think about that avenue?

08-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You ROCK! We did as you suggested! We got it OFF!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. My husband exerted consider force, and we were able to slip the feeler gauge in and moved it to the 5 o'clock/6 o'clock position. That released the pin between and then we were able to remove the lens. .
08-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobbieNT Quote
Can you tell me how long should I keep trying and how gently is gently? I don't want to take a chance and break my new camera. I've sent a message to customer service at Pentax to see if they can take the lens off; what do you think about that avenue?
There was a recent thread here from a poster who had the same thing happen. He said after the feeler gauge frustrated him, he just grabbed the lens and gave it a good twist. The Ricoh pin is made of brass and it is not much larger than about 1/32 inch diameter. The AF drive on the camera is pretty solid. I think you're more likely to shear that pin than destroy anything on the camera. Just make sure you know where the end of the pin went before turning the camera on.

Here is a Similar one, can't find the exact one I'm talking about..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46816-all-righ...ens-stuck.html

As to how long you should keep trying.. I guess until you give up and send it to Pentax. I have no idea what they will charge but I'm certain they can get the lens off.

I wish I had better and more certain answers for you but I don't. I, by Luck, noticed a thread about this problem on another forum before I bought my first Pentax DSLR..

08-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobbieNT Quote
You ROCK! We did as you suggested! We got it OFF!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. My husband exerted consider force, and we were able to slip the feeler gauge in and moved it to the 5 o'clock/6 o'clock position. That released the pin between and then we were able to remove the lens. .
Great!! I guess you did it while I was typing the other reply. Just one more thread for the Ricoh Pin knowledge base.

Happy shooting and show us some photos. In case I missed it, welcome to the club!

08-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now have your husband remove that pin, and enjoy your older lens.
08-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Congratulations on removing the lens! I want to make a note for future users in a similar situation - a metal measuring tape works quite well (in place of a feeler guage) to slip between the camera and the lens. Also, once you slip the tape in, it should not really need too much force. I am saying this so people do not damage their camera mounts thinking that is what is needed. You will probably end up doing more harm than good.
08-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Now that is funny. I mean I hope you have been able to remove the lens but that is a good way of describing the issue.
Haha, I tried twice and then gave up. Now I'm shooting 35mm f/2, and I shoot the ISO reaaalllly high, in complete manuel, so I pretend I'm shooting film ahah

08-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Congratulations on removing the lens!
Now, do a search on how to remove the Ricoh pin.
There are lots of threads about it (well, not really lots)..so that you ca still use that lens.
Removal of the pin is easy.
08-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
Inactive Account

These sites might help:

Pentax Lens/Camera Compatibility - Mark Roberts Photography

This is ugly:
Lens stuck on Pentax SLR

Stuck Pentax Lens
08-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #25
Forum Member

for the future remove the pin from the lens.
It's easy. Below is a link for instructions

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix
08-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote
for the future remove the pin from the lens.
It's easy. Below is a link for instructions

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix
What he said. It really is easy and this is an excellent link.
03-17-2023, 08:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I know, thread resurrection. I just experienced this with an old Sigma zoom. It was not marked as being for a Ricoh mount. I think the particular age of lens to look out for is around 1985, where auto aperture had been introduced, but lenses were still manual focus. Basically, if you have a lens which is auto aperture and manual focus....be cautious mounting it to a camera body with auto focus abilities.