Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Can't remove a lens!

We just received our new K7 body today -- we have some old SLR lenses. I attached a lens that fit perfectly on my Pentax A3000 and now I can't get it off my new DSLR. Any help from any of you experts would be really, really appreciated.

Last edited by BobbieNT; 08-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.
08-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do a search here on the forums for "Ricoh pin" or something to that effect. If you have a look down the page at the similar threads, you should be able to find an explanation. Basically, if the lens you used is a PK/R mount lens, there could be a tiny pin that gets stuck in the AF motor, and is a major pain to remove. Hopefully that isn't it, but theres plenty of documentation on how to get it off. Best of luck.
08-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the old stuck lens, welcome to hell (been there!). I removed it from my old k10d a long time ago with a razor blade - basically you'll need to get in between the lens and the mount, and push that pin up. It will take some force, but the worst thing that'll happen is some scratches on the metal mount. There are probably more useful instructions out there, bottom line, Be Careful!
08-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of your troubles - hope you can find a way to firmly yet gently get into the mount space - and work out if there is a floating screw or mounting pin that's precluding the lens's removal - you may have to have someone more experienced try it for you.

All the best.

08-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

A very thin feeler gauge is a good tool to use. If you don't have one, go to sears or an auto parts place and find the set with the thinnest blade they have. It will be thinner than a razor blade.
08-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Once you get the feeler, insert it between the camera and lens mount. The pin that got stuck will be stuck in the AF screw, so if you know where that screw is located, move the feeler around that area while gently nudging the lens loose.
08-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Whats the model of lens that is stuck on the camera? If it is the case of a "Ricoh pin", the feeler gauge suggestion sounds good IMO...

08-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
Inactive Account

There is probably a similar thread here at PF but this will likely be a lot of help for you..

The Canonical Stuck Lens Information thread: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I agree with the others. You've walked right into the Ricoh Pin trap. It is not un-recoverable. Don't feel bad. You aren't the first, you won't be the last. Just look at it this way. Next time somebody asks, you'll be one of the experts.

Welcome to the club (the K7 club that is )

08-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Ah, sorry to hear about that. I've been through the same thing. My K100D is fixed focal length now...didn't start that way.
08-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I found that it took a little bit more force than I was expecting to turn the lens, but when I finally came free I was overjoyed.
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Goslett Quote
Ah, sorry to hear about that. I've been through the same thing. My K100D is fixed focal length now...didn't start that way.
Now that is funny. I mean I hope you have been able to remove the lens but that is a good way of describing the issue.
08-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
We went to the auto store and bought the feeler gauges. The thinnest is .011. There is no "gap" that the feeler will slip into. Or, am I just clueless.
08-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
By chance, can you recommend a repair shop who might do this for us. There's no Pentax dealer anywhere in Arkansas.
08-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
Inactive Account

There Is no 'Gap' per se other than any small space between the lens and the camera lens mount. The Pin in question resides on the lens near where the AF/MF switch does on the camera. Put the camera into MF to retract the AF screw drive. You May at that point be able to gently force the lens off. If you cannot, push the feeler gauge in there at that location and try a sawing action while trying to turn the lens. It may take awhile of trying but I know it can be done (anecdotal evidence only).

The Pin is made of brass if I'm not mistaken and will likely shear off before doing any damage to the camera (Force the lens off at your own risk).

If you get it off, inspect the inside for any metal shavings before turning the camera on again. Once you get it off, the link in my other post shows how to remove the pin from the lens.

Good luck.
08-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It might also help to flick the MF-AF switch since it might dislodge the pin in question.
You might have to force the feeler gauge a bit where the lens and the body mate.
The (Ricoh) pin is lodged somewhere in the rough position or a bit below of the AF-MF switch at the left side of the camera.
While switch is also in AF mode, you might want to press and unpress the lens lock release, which would push and pull the AF drive pin which might push out the Ricoh pin and eventually release or dislodge it out of the AF drive hole.