Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #1

Lens at a thrift; 300mm Adaptall? Takumar?!

Alrighty, so I stopped by the thrift after work and after perusing the electronics section I glance over at the glass case and see a lens.

I asked and the lady took it out to show me, and I looked it over while she stood guard over this $30 item. Cap says 'adaptall for minolta' and I noticed that the focus range was 300mm (I'm pretty sure it was fixed). The lens had a built-in sliding hood, and I believe there were six blades that made up the iris--I think it could stop down to f/4 and the front thread was larger than 67mm (mental note). There was also an automatic setting for the aperture and I didn't see any electrical contacts.

I already have a Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm but I've been getting into this older glass--there's just more soul in the photos they take

Any idea what it was and if I could mod it for use with my body?

Last edited by thefragger; 08-06-2010 at 10:03 PM.
08-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

You wouldn't need to modify it at all, you just need the appropriate Adaptall adapter for K-mount, or KAF-mount. You can check eBay or elsewhere for the adapters. $30 would be a steal of a price for a lense like that... you might pay more for the adapter, though. If you're not interested, I certainly would be...
08-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thefragger Quote
Alrighty, so I stopped by the thrift after work and after perusing the electronics section I glance over at the glass case and see a lens.

I asked and the lady took it out to show me, and I looked it over while she stood guard over this $30 item. Cap says 'adaptall for minolta' and I noticed that the focus range was 300mm (I'm pretty sure it was fixed). The lens had a built-in sliding hood, and I believe there were six blades that made up the iris--I think it could stop down to f/4 and the front thread was larger than 67mm (mental note). There was also an automatic setting for the aperture and I didn't see any electrical contacts.

I already have a Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm but I've been getting into this older glass--there's just more soul in the photos they take

Any idea what it was and if I could mod it for use with my body?
I'd take off the caps to make sure it's a Tamron Adaptall lens and if it is, BUY IT!! Though I don't recall ever seeing a 300mm f4.0 Adaptall lens (300mm f5.6?), I don't think you can possibly go wrong for the price. If down the road you don't want the lens, please pm me and I'll take it off your hands.
08-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If this is the lens and its $30, thats the deal of the century:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Tamron SP 400mm f/4 LD-IF Adaptall2 Model 65b Lens Reviews

08-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$30 for a Tamron 300mm is worth the price, regardless of which lens it is (Tamron made at least 5 Adaptall and Adaptall-2 300mm lenses). Assuming the lens is functional and in good condition. Most likely, it is the f/5.6 model 54B or the earlier CT-300 Adaptall.

Steve
08-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
That 400/4 has 112mm front filter threads and it weighs 5 pounds. All of the 300 f2.8 are rather large as well also 112mm filter threads. It will be interesting to see what it is.
08-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is definitely not a 67mm thread, nor is it a 300mm lens like the OP stated, so that for sure is not the lens in question.

But $30 for a 300mm lens is a great deal no matter the Tamron model (as long as it works and the glass is clean).
08-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
It's definitely not that lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
$30 for a Tamron 300mm is worth the price, regardless of which lens it is (Tamron made at least 5 Adaptall and Adaptall-2 300mm lenses). Assuming the lens is functional and in good condition. Most likely, it is the f/5.6 model 54B or the earlier CT-300 Adaptall.

Steve
There's a striking resemblance between the CT-300 and the lens that I saw; the one in the shop didn't have writing on the hood, and the aperture ring was a little different, but the body shape is bang on.

I didn't get it mainly because I already have a 300mm lens, but it seems like you guys are telling me I have to buy it, eh?

08-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
It's a Rexatar with a tamron adaptall 2 cap on it--77mm front threads--I figured at $40 for 300mm and f/4, why not.

Now to see how to get this mounted up to the body. Not once in my toolmaking life have ever had to work with such small screws! Or maybe I got lucky... heading home soon.
08-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #10

Original Poster
Alright, held the lens up another PK mount lens and the differences were immediately noticeable.

It seems that this kind of mod (Minolta MC/MD to Pentax PK) isn't too difficult nor are they rare. I tried the lens by holding it in the camera and it seems to do fine.

Just bought two M42 to PK adapters on eBay (one for the mod, and one for when I screw up). I may start a new thread when those arrive.
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Browsing around some more, I've found that this lens bears a striking resemblance to a Pentax SMC 300mm f/4.

The only functional difference is that the aperture ring of the SMC lens does f/4-32 and this Rexatar does f/4-22 (same as the SMC-Takumar)

Kitchen scale says it weighs 1136g.

Photos of the Pentax and the Rexatar lens I picked up today are attached for comparison.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G9  Photo   

Last edited by thefragger; 08-06-2010 at 09:51 PM.