Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Found some free goodies, have some questions

Turns out my friend had an old K1000 laying around he just showed me. His dad gave it to him when he was a kid, and he never used it. Turns out he has two lenses i can experiment with!

Vivitar 135mm 1:2.8 Auto Telephoto
SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:2

Wierd thing is, i cant seem to find any information on the vivitar. The only thing i can find is (what reads to be the same lens) on the directory in the stickies. However it seems that everyone that has this lens has to use the M42 adaptor, however mine seems to be in K mount...

I also dont know whats up with the wierd push botton thing that is on the side in the picture. What is that for?? Seams to have two arrows pointing away from eachother, one side says "O" and other side says "L"

Another weird thing is that all the reviews that "match" that of the Vivitar state that it stops up to F22 where as mine goes to only F16. Whats up with that?

Here is the link to the info on the lens that closely resembles mine other than the Fstop limit and the grip on the focusing ring (mine looks different as you can tell):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=395&cat=85

Last edited by XeroX; 08-06-2010 at 12:52 AM.
08-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that the screwmount version is pictured in the database, while yours in in K-mount and therefore has a different grip. I think the switch servers the same function as the auto/manual diaphragm switch on Takumar lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
emr

I believe Vivitar was (is?) a marketing brand and the lenses were made by many different manufacturers. I for example have a Vivitar 135mm f/3.5 that I've found no information on, but from the S/N know it was made by Cosina.

Here is a website which shows how you can find out the Vivitar lens manufacturer by the S/N.
08-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That weird O-L switch on the base is for removing the T4 adapter. Back in the day, when film cameras proliferated and lens interfaces were simple, 3rd-party lensmakers for brands like Vivitar, Lentar and others, supplied various lenses with a T- or T2- or T4- or other generic base. Dealers could then stock those basic lenses and an assortment of adapters for Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Konica, Miranda, Yashica, Minolta, Ricoh etc, rather than carry an inventory of proprietary lenses for each mount.

In other words, don't worry about it. And oh yeah, the Ponder & Best marketing company, owner of the Vivitar brand, contracted with many lensmakers for their products. Most are good. Some are superb. Some later ones are dreck. There may have been 15 makers of Vivitar-brand 135mm lenses. Some collectors expend vast time and resources trying to sort them out. Ay yi yi.

08-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I only took a couple "tester" shots with the lens last night inside the house (yea kinda wack). But i am taking it with me on vacation when i leave tonight to FL, i plan on testing it out then.

Lucky for me it is 52mm just like my 18-55 kit lens for my K7, and i was planning on buying a polarizer, UV filter, and maybe something else that i can fool around with

I was kind of disspointed when i read the review on the 135, as I was kinda hoping i would stumble onto a treasure for lack of better words haha. None the less it is nice since it is something different to use and try out, i have never shot a 135mm prime before so i am looking forward to that. I guess i was just hoping to find more than what i actually found haha.