Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any info on where to get Pentax lenses in Manila

I might be going on vacation in the Phils and have not actually been out for a while in Manila and haven't gotten around as to where the best place to get cheap but good quality Pentax lenses.
During the film days, I used to buy my Nikon lenses in the Binondo area.
Could any Pinoy Pentaxians help?
Could you guys share your secret places?

08-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want to add that I'm more interested on the F, FA or MF lenses.
08-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Gerry,

About 4 years ago, you could find some used K-mount AF/MF, as well as Pentax K, M and A manual focus lenses in Hidalgo Street, Quiapo, for dirt cheap prices. Such is not the case anymore, ever since sales of Pentax DSLRs have surged here in the Philippines. Used Pentax lenses are now more expensive, with the sellers more in tune with the supply-demand situation.

You can buy new original Pentax FA, DA lenses in Camerahaus here in Manila, but let me warn you that prices are much higher than in the USA. Pentax users in the Philippines are also a relatively lively group and we share Buy/Sell needs through our "Pinoy Pentaxian" e-mail group. You can check out the Pentax Forum of DPP here: Digital Photographer Philippines

and the Pinoy Pentaxian website here: Pinoy Pentaxian

Hope this helps
08-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info Vince!
..and I thought that there are still places that we can get most of these lenses there cheap!
Oh well, I'll still try and see/compare the pricings.

08-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
check out Camera Haus in some major malls
binondo is a good place
try Quiapo particularly at Hidalgo

when are you visiting Manila?
08-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Hi Gerry,

About 4 years ago, you could find some used K-mount AF/MF, as well as Pentax K, M and A manual focus lenses in Hidalgo Street, Quiapo, for dirt cheap prices. Such is not the case anymore, ever since sales of Pentax DSLRs have surged here in the Philippines. Used Pentax lenses are now more expensive, with the sellers more in tune with the supply-demand situation.

You can buy new original Pentax FA, DA lenses in Camerahaus here in Manila, but let me warn you that prices are much higher than in the USA. Pentax users in the Philippines are also a relatively lively group and we share Buy/Sell needs through our "Pinoy Pentaxian" e-mail group. You can check out the Pentax Forum of DPP here: Digital Photographer Philippines

Hope this helps
I have to agree with the pricing (sad to say)
it costs way way more expensive
08-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Hi Gerry,

Hope this helps

4 years ago? wow, that's not too long ago. I believe that was the time when Pentax was on life support. funny how things changed in a matter of 4 years. hoping that Pentax will experience that bump on the road again.

j/k.

08-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Banned

since I will be permanently moved to the Philippines within the next five years, this is all very handy information! glad to see a lively group of Pentaxians there. wont do me much good as I will be in Baguio not Manila, but just the same.
08-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Forum Member

You might find one or two older manual lenses at Hidalgo, but you'll probably find that a lens you can get for USD $30-50 on eBay in the US, would probably be going for around USD $80-120 equivalent at Hidalgo.

For new Pentax lenses, your only brick and mortar choice is Camerahaus, which you can find in most major malls. And they are much (!) pricier vs US prices.

Henry's Photo once planned to bring in Pentax lenses, but that still hasn't happened, and it might not be happening at all.

Or you can try popular Pinoy versions of Craigslist (e.g. tipidpc.com), sometimes there are enterprising individuals who import lenses from Japan, and sell them online for a profit. They're cheaper than Camerhaus, yet they are still more expensive than US prices.
08-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
check out Camera Haus in some major malls
binondo is a good place
try Quiapo particularly at Hidalgo

when are you visiting Manila?
I am actually from Laguna so going to Manila would depend on what free time I can squeeze and get.
Wifey will tag along so this must be a planned trip too.
I have a tight schedule and no fixed itinerary yet.
Before I had a contact in Binondo but that was years ago. I was still in college then and she gave me good prices on the cameras and lenses (Nikon) to help me out with fulfilling my class requirements on photography.

I will do keep an eye out for Camerahaus..but judging from all your posts, Pentax lenses have become expensive in the Pinas!
08-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
since I will be permanently moved to the Philippines within the next five years, this is all very handy information! glad to see a lively group of Pentaxians there. wont do me much good as I will be in Baguio not Manila, but just the same.
What's good about Baguio is that it ain't Manila..but also going very crowded.
You might find lenses there that might still be cheap.
The provinces should be a good source of cheap lenses since Pentax was very popular in the Phils then..you must find contacts though digging through friends and relatives who might have owned one (Pentax SLR).
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
You might find one or two older manual lenses at Hidalgo, but you'll probably find that a lens you can get for USD $30-50 on eBay in the US, would probably be going for around USD $80-120 equivalent at Hidalgo.

For new Pentax lenses, your only brick and mortar choice is Camerahaus, which you can find in most major malls. And they are much (!) pricier vs US prices.

Henry's Photo once planned to bring in Pentax lenses, but that still hasn't happened, and it might not be happening at all.

Or you can try popular Pinoy versions of Craigslist (e.g. tipidpc.com), sometimes there are enterprising individuals who import lenses from Japan, and sell them online for a profit. They're cheaper than Camerhaus, yet they are still more expensive than US prices.
If the prices are really high then there isn't really any need for me to look some up??
I can't understand how Pentax being assembled in an Export Processing Zone in Cebu be so much more expensive in the Phils!?
It is in Cebu that they have the Pentax factory that assembles all these Pentax DSLRs!
08-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well the bodies are Assembled in Philippines, but the LENSES are Assembled in Vietnam

See my point?
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Prices here are way too high.
I bought my K200D and All of my lenses on this forum.
08-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Pentax must be doing really good these days. and some people were saying that it will be in trouble if they decide to invest further into developing a FF system.

I just wonder how much is the demand or Pentax sales right now in the Philippines?