Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K7 WR Kit lens (18-55) actually isn't all that bad. Certainly better than the Original kit lens IMO..

All of them at f5.6, Av.

08-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think there's any question as to weather or not the kit lenses are good, it just seems that speed is the clincher here, and I'm trying really hard to figure out if I can afford and if I need some fast lenses
08-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I've gone with kit-plus (16-45 and 55-300), plus manual-focus gear. While I'd love to afford a limited or two, these zooms plus a 50 cover the bases for me. The DA* special zooms are too massive for me, so Pentax' DA zooms are great - and I really like the versatility of my 16-45.
I really like the term kit-plus for the 16-45 and 55-300. A great but relatively inexpensive upgrade to the kit lenses. I good step up, I have this combo and a 10-20 sigma and I'm pretty happy with it right now. I do want some limiteds but I don't have the desire to upgrade and go into debt like I did before finding this combination. And with my recently purchased Raynox I've got macro. I would like a 40 pancake for a nice small walkaround package..
08-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter

There's something to be said for just getting good stuff, the way you have. And a nice aspect of lenses is that, if properly cared for, they lose very little value. Sometimes they go up! And it often takes me a while to really get my best results from a lens. I would just use what you have, for the trip, and for a few weeks thereafter, tosee if you like them. In fact, you could just take the 15 and the 40, to force your hand a bit. If you use the 15 and the 40 for a year without damaging them badly, you'll be abe to sell them for most of what you paid... but you won't want to. And you'll have all those great pictures!

08-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd keep the 15 (because 18 isn't wide enough for me) and return the 40 (it's not especially fast and you have that FL covered).
08-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'd keep the 15 (because 18 isn't wide enough for me) and return the 40 (it's not especially fast and you have that FL covered).
The DA40 does not cost all that much, does not take up much room and it adds a high quality option that is actually closer to two stops faster than the kit lens, and this advantage extends when both lenses are past wide open. At F4, the DA40 outperforms the Kit lens at F8.

At f5.6 the DA40 offers stellar performance that is unobtainable in the kit zoom at any aperture. Having at least one lens for times when top performace is required also adds an excellent dimension to this kit.
08-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I'm thinking about going back to just the kit lenses (18-55/50-200) and focusing less on gear, I had a brief run in with LBA but I think it was just a short phase and the gaping hole in my checking account kind of shook some sense back into me
Unless it will throttle creativity and make me unable to produce decent pictures I don't see any way I can't live with just the kit lenses for a long long time, and I'm pretty sure that's not the case
Just looking at the kit lens club and the DA zoom club I'm pretty sure that they are perfectly fine lenses, but generally everyone emphases the extreme importance of nice lenses, especially in the Pentax camp
Anyone have any thoughts on the switch? Because I'm split right down the middle on the decision and have a little over a week to return my two limiteds, which I can still afford to keep if I had to
(and in case anyone was going to suggest a body switch up to save $$, I can't go back to a Kx because I need WR and can't switch to a K20d because I need video)

Why not use the kit lens and buy inexpensive A/M/K lenses if needed?
I sold both DA 40 and DA 70 and purchased their M/K equivalents. I am very happy with that decision.

Kind regards
.lars
08-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Love the input guys, I'm going to return the two limiteds to save 800-900 bucks

If I get desperate for some speed then I'll get a Tamron 17-50 and call it good, I'm very reliant on AF, especially with sports and people, I usually use MF with still subjects though, so I might get some fast manual primes if the prices line up.

I kind of want to get a video camera set up on black friday and that's at least a thousand dollar undertaking (especially once you take software and batteries into account) so I have to keep that in mind, my video and still budget are shared and I can't afford to spend too much on one or the other

This might all be part of a bigger move away from photography and back into video where my heart really lies, so I just want to keep the costs down for the time being. I'm sure just going with the kit lenses will not get in my way at all