Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm going to go ahead and suggest the Vivitar (samyang, and others) 85mm f1.4. Even wide open, this lens is reasonably sharp..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4404878664_2d2acbeb2d_o.jpg

I had this lens for almost a year. truly bright lens and great buttery bokeh and neutral colors. very nice actually. although I had to sell it because it wasn't getting used as much because I was having difficulty using it. manual focus ring is just tight for my liking, would prefer a smooth and easy revolving barrel. also needing an AF for telephoto use.

08-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I had this lens for almost a year. truly bright lens and great buttery bokeh and neutral colors. very nice actually. although I had to sell it because it wasn't getting used as much because I was having difficulty using it. manual focus ring is just tight for my liking, would prefer a smooth and easy revolving barrel. also needing an AF for telephoto use.
It's no Pentax or Tak, that's for sure as far as build quality and use but for what it is, I think it's a bargain. Mine doesn't get used much either but that's more due to my preference for the 77..

08-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's no Pentax or Tak, that's for sure as far as build quality and use but for what it is, I think it's a bargain. Mine doesn't get used much either but that's more due to my preference for the 77..

surely is a bargain for an 85mm lens with an f1.4 opening. I was thinking if this was only AF and a bit smooth focusing ring, it would had certainly helped and could be happier using this more often. and for $350? WOW ! I won't be needing any other 85mm anymore.
08-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
surely is a bargain for an 85mm lens with an f1.4 opening. I was thinking if this was only AF and a bit smooth focusing ring, it would had certainly helped and could be happier using this more often. and for $350? WOW ! I won't be needing any other 85mm anymore.
I have the vivitar version, and have not noticed any issues with the focusing ring, but the vivitar version is slightly different cosmetically, and perhaps with the focusing ring itself.

as for ease of focus, I use a split image in my K10D and focus is a snap. The focusing throw is a little less than my Tak 85 F1.9, but that is OK, there is still enough to be accurate.

08-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
350 for the Samyang 85? No thank you! Admittedly, the price is up a little from this weekend, currently the lens is 60 dollars cheaper for Sony.

Rico, I have two Sears lenses I picked up at a rummage sale. 5 bucks for the pair, but someone, at some point in time, bifurcated the bodies and glued them back together. Thankfully the first one fell off my camera in the privacy of my own apartment, and I wasn't forced into hari-kari. In all seriousness, I know Pentax itself manufactured a lot of photo gear for sears and jc penny.

Finally, I grabbed a Asanuma 135 2.8 off ebay for all of 15 bucks (20 shipped). Initial research suggested it's actually a Tokina, we'll see how it goes. If it's not up to par, it'll serve as a hold-over and a tool to analyze what I want in this range. Now I just need the rest of these damn auctions to go up in price before I become a lens dealer!
08-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m88k Quote
350 for the Samyang 85? No thank you! Admittedly, the price is up a little from this weekend, currently the lens is 60 dollars cheaper for Sony.
I meant 350 if Samyang comes up with an AF 85. which autofocus 85 with an f1.4 aperture opening costs at around $350?
08-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sorry I misinterpreted. I was being silly myself, I meant to point out that overstock has it for 250, but at just short of 300, it's a less impressive price.

I didn't hear anything back, positive or negative, about the Voigtlanders. Is it just because they're that rare? The 90mm is just a little too dear. If they'd throw in the C1s body, I'd jump on it. Don't have a good reason to get another film body, but that combination sounds so nice.

I'm still interested in this topic, but after a good 12 hours scouring ebay I'm looking at saving my money by extending the used collection. After a couple bad experiences I had kinda shut out the possibility of digging for the good deals in the used market.
08-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Pentax FA 85mm f2.8? Don't take this as a serious test, just me fooling around. All photos taken in AF, exposure correct in ACR, but with the rest default and at least I put the camera on a tripod. ;-)

p=Pentax pro=ProMaster

85mm - a set on Flickr

Easier way to see the shots, left hand upper corner, to enable large size.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/31865455@N07/sets/72157624691380670/

The ProMaster 1.7x TC obviously isn't a 1.7x TC judging by the wider FOV displayed. The DA 50-135mm and the FA 50mm f1.4 on the Pentax AF 1.7x TC look pretty equivalent, baring the small movements from changing lenses. This isn't a real flickr account so the 1024x786 is as large as it goes.

I'm not going to defend the "test" shots, but it was a way to kill a boring afternoon stuck at home because I can't see much of anything right now.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-11-2010 at 07:16 AM.
08-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Don't forget the M85/2, which is well-loved by many here, although it might be too small for your taste. Also consider the various Pentax 100's. I've got the M100/2.8, which I like a lot, but I have no other 100's to compare it to.