Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

FA/film lens recommendations

Iím looking for wide-angle zoom options for Pentax FA lenses or other manufacturers. The lenses are for a 35mm film body (ZX-5n) my father gave me 8 months ago after he went 100% digital. Iím really enjoying using it and getting back to film. Itís so much more suitable to my tastes and style. Iíve been sifting through this forum for the past week reading all of your great posts and have exponentially increased my knowledge. The lens reviews in this forum are fantastic but Iím having a little trouble finding lenses that are fully functional on a film body. Since I have a pretty good handle on the prime lenses, my need is for one or more wide-angle walk-arounds that I would travel with Ė places hard to reach or where thereís some theft risk.

All recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Iím looking not only for lenses with great clarity, sharpness, bokeh, etc. but for more unusual glass with unique distortion (but not fish-eye), color saturation, etc. I love the unexpected element of film and do a lot of filtering, reflecting, low-light, wide-open aperture, cross-processing. My end objective is printing and mounting, anything from 8x10 to 40x60. Iíve been experimenting with this camera using mostly the SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 AL. Iím getting some interesting/unusual results with this lens and Iíll continue to use it for certain situations, but I need a serious upgrade (and other options).

Thank you,

Aaron

08-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd definitely recommend the FA limited lenses, especially the 31mm. Photos taken with that lens have a unique '3d' appearance to them!

Other great lenses include the 35mm, FA* 85mm, and 135mm, all of which you can read about in the lens database!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-10-2010, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 20-35mm f/4 is your best bet. Great IQ, very wide on film. I love it. The F 24-50mm zoom is okay, and cheaper, but not in the same league as the first lens I listed. It is probably an upgrade from the one you have been using though. Also, you can use a DA 18-55 on a ZX-5n in P or TV mode, with no vignetting above about 24mm - and those are so cheap if one got stolen you could easily get another.

Good luck! Nick