Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8 1 touch zoom lens Aperture blades cleaning

Anyone here ever clean oil off the aperature blades on one of these? The lens is in great shape except for the slow, oily aperture. I don't have a schematic to work from so I would appreciate any wisdom that could be shared.

JB

08-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

I did this on one back in the 80s. Just don't lose little parts, take your time, and use screwdrivers that fit. Don't touch anything inside the lens that you don't need to touch.

I think I cleaned mine with a fancy, low-lint q-tip designed for cleaning cassette heads (it WAS in the 80s) dipped in everclear.
08-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm a chemist and have those type Q-tips in the lab. I have most any solvent you can imagine. Did you go in the front, or the mount?

JB
08-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #4

I started from the mount end of the lens.

The hardest part of reassembly was the little arm that interfaces with the aperture ring. It is the part that actually controls the aperture. Very fiddly, and down in a hole...

I am a clumsy twit but managed to fix mine, so go ahead and dig in. My lens is actually sitting here in front of me, and still takes photos now and then. These are very nicely made, but are overshadowed by the Series 1 lenses of the same era.

08-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again. I'll set aside some time in the near future to do this work. I'll let you know how it goes.

JB
08-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's usually a good idea to take pictures of the process to help you remember how to put the pieces back together. I'd also make notes and mark all the little screws so that when assembling I know where each screw belongs to (they are so small that they all look pretty much the same but they aren't). When disassembling the lens you can also make small marks on the parts to help you put everything back together the way it was.

On zoomlenses infinity focus is usually adjusted at the nearest focusing distance from somewhere around the rear of the lens and at the farthest focus distance from under the focus ring (or somewhere close to the front element). So if you have to rotate some parts (with fine threads) I suggest you make marks and count the rotations so you can once again put everything back exactly the way it was and reach infinity focus also after reassembly.

Hope this helps and don't rush it.
08-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good suggestion about the little marks. I am planning to tape the screws to index cards and make notes. I'll take some pictures also. I am in no rush and don't want to do a poor job. This lens is in nice shape other than the aperture oil. I took a couple photos wide open and they looked good.

Thanks for the imput. Any and all help is welcome.

JB