Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shopping advice for fast manual ~35mm lens

I love my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, but I have a K200D, with a cropped format sensor, and would like something of a similar speed, but around a more "natural", for the sensor format, 35mm. Something like the Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC looks amazing, but is really way out of my price range. I'm on a tight budget, and ideal would be something I could find used for around $100 (like my 50mm). A manual one with aperture automation, like my 50mm, would be what I prefer.

Does anyone know of something I should check out? Anything that can at least be found used cheaper than that Sigma 30mm.

08-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd recommend one of these; both are very affordable and sharp:

SMC Pentax-A 35mm F2.8 Lens
SMC Pentax-FA 35mm F2 AL Lens

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I don't expect you to find the Pentax FA35/2 for $100 but if you are interested in stretching the budget to look at that option, remember the Samsung D-Xenogon 35/2 AL is the same lens and sometimes available for a bit less than the Pentax label.

Happy hunting.
08-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bkhl Quote
I love my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, but I have a K200D, with a cropped format sensor, and would like something of a similar speed, but around a more "natural", for the sensor format, 35mm. Something like the Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC looks amazing, but is really way out of my price range. I'm on a tight budget, and ideal would be something I could find used for around $100 (like my 50mm). A manual one with aperture automation, like my 50mm, would be what I prefer.

Does anyone know of something I should check out? Anything that can at least be found used cheaper than that Sigma 30mm.

With a bit of luck I think you can get the M 35mm F2 for $100-150 USD.
It has no aperture automation though.

Kind regards
.lars

08-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
With a bit of luck I think you can get the M 35mm F2 for $100-150 USD.
It has no aperture automation though.
I second the M35/2.And with a lot of luck (or at least a lot of patience), you can even get it for a little under that (as I did). I have this lens and must say I love it; it's probably my second favorite lens. My copy is razor sharp from wide open, and has a rather distinctive (in a good way) rendering (similar to pictures from the FA limiteds I've seen). Flare is the best controlled of any lens I've used. The bokeh is rather hit or miss though. On occasion it is nice and creamy, but sometimes it is really quite harsh (nissen bokeh) and frantic, in part as it's spherically overcorrected (the bokeh can also be a bit swirly/rushing wide open). Also, wide open, it can show some LoCA in the OOF areas It's also very small and light. Overall though, it's highly recommended.