Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

astrophotography - k10d - lenses and mounts

Just wondering if anyone here uses a k10d for astrophotography, what lenses and mounts they use and what kind of quality from the combination... Pictures/exposure info and lens info would be fine, and anything you wanna add as well.

09-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jagojay Quote
Just wondering if anyone here uses a k10d for astrophotography, what lenses and mounts they use and what kind of quality from the combination... Pictures/exposure info and lens info would be fine, and anything you wanna add as well.
I usually use the K10 on the back of a telescope, either a short 600mm f/6 semi-apo for wider fields or on a 3000 f/12 Cassegrainian for Moon and planets. I rarely use camera lenses, but if I do, I only use fast primes.

As for mounts. My preferred travel mount is the good old Vixen Super Polaris and my stationarymount is an old Wachter mount and a Vixen Saturn as an intermediate choice.

In our astronomy club we have one of those StarTrak mounts for traveling, which seems to be very nice, is fairly inexpensive (given the ease of use) and can be used for unguided exposures up to app. 10 minutes.

Ben
09-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I use my sigma 10-20 at 400 or 800 iso to capture the entire sky. I set up my camera on a tripod and continuously take 30 second photos. I find that stitching 100 photos together makes a lot less noise then a 10 minute long photo

This is for star trails

Startrails4ergbegbh | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
09-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #4

Haven't yet delved into astrophotography yet, but have been into visual astronomy for a while. You might want to look into the product "Astrotrac" (a tracking "mount" product), which I've read is easy to use, provdies accurate tracking, and is quite portable. Google it for more details