Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #1

Lens operating temperature

Hi guys,

I'm using K-x and its operating temperature ranges from 32 F to 104 F. Does this operating temperature applies to the lenses?

I have 18-55mm and 50-200mm, both DA L which are plastic mount. Are they less tolerant to heat?

08-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt anything is going to happen to your lenses if you exceed these temperatures, but I wouldn't recommend extended exposure (especially to heat).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Every materials, including plastic, glass and metal, will alter its shape with temperature. One of the rare exceptions is Invar, a type of steel (roughly speaking) that is almost invariant (hence the name).

At "room temperatures" your lenses will be fine, the deformations are small. I've often used my lenses in the cold snow without trouble. I believe to permanently damage a lens, you would have to expose it to a temperature that your body cannot support.
08-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The main issue with lenses and temperature are condensation on internal elements when going from warm humid to cold (may leave water marks) and migration of lubrication when hot. When very cold, AF and aperture stopdown may be affected with potential for jamming and/or slow response. Thermal expansion (noted above) is another potential issue.

Steve

08-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks guys. i raised this concern because of the frequent unbearable heat i'm facing doing outdoor shots.

Am i right to say that high temperature does more "damages" than low temperature?
08-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Xlusionist Quote
thanks guys. i raised this concern because of the frequent unbearable heat i'm facing doing outdoor shots.

Am i right to say that high temperature does more "damages" than low temperature?
High temps have the potential to warp components of the lens if exposed for long periods of time (hours) - especially if they are in direct sunlight.

One good point made earlier was about the lens fogging when moving between extremes. That's something to watch for carefully. It always happens when you need it most and can be simply avoided by staying away from extremes (i.e. don't take your camera from a 80 degree car to a 12 degree outside. It's easier to leave them in the trunk while traveling. That still protects the equipment, but drops the temperature variance significantly.