Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

And Funky Was Her Name-O...

Behold the beauty that is my newly acquired SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm. I can't decide if the e(ek!)Bay seller was overly optimistic or simply delusional when offering this lens as "clean" and "in good condition". In any case, that description and my willingness to funnel $20 through PayPal brought this baby right to my door. I was initially excited; super smooth focus and aperture rings, and no obvious wear.

It wasn't until I gathered my cleaning gear (including flashlight) and sat down to *really* give the lens a once-over that I saw it. The Fust*. I was bummed.

At the moment, I've no use for this lens. I definitely don't want to tackle a disassembly and de-fusting myself. So, if anyone wants Funky, send me a PM and she's yours. If you decide you can clean her up, great. If you have time to document and post the process step-by-step for the DIY folks, all the better. If you simply need a freebie because your day's been crappy so far - that's OK, too!

*Fust = the mutated b*stard offspring of fungus and dust

Name:  IMGP3789.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  91.4 KB
~
Name:  IMGP3781.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  75.0 KB

08-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what the fust!
you can always return it back if the condition of the item was not as specified.
08-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharathk Quote
what the fust!
you can always return it back if the condition of the item was not as specified.

Exactly! I thought about returning Funky, but decided to avoid the hassle of (possibly) debating the definition of "clean" with the seller. Maybe to him/her, this *is* clean. Scary, but possible. Hence, my decision to donate her body to science and/or pursuit of the arts. ;-)
08-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PointLookout Quote
Exactly! I thought about returning Funky, but decided to avoid the hassle of (possibly) debating the definition of "clean" with the seller. Maybe to him/her, this *is* clean. Scary, but possible. Hence, my decision to donate her body to science and/or pursuit of the arts. ;-)
I'm not sure how one would argue that the lens you got is clean.

08-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm interested in seeing how does this thing take a picture
08-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Paypal buyers protection

You do understand that you just need to send an email to the seller, stating that you are not satisfied with the condition of the lens, ask for a refund and/or open a claim on paypal buyer's protection.
Avoiding to do so will only encourage this seller to continue selling crap and wrongly described items on ebay and thus reinforce the already bad reputation of this auction site.

I sure encourage you to do so, I did open claims on paypal a few times and have always got my money back with no hassle !
08-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
You do understand that you just need to send an email to the seller, stating that you are not satisfied with the condition of the lens, ask for a refund and/or open a claim on paypal buyer's protection.
Avoiding to do so will only encourage this seller to continue selling crap and wrongly described items on ebay and thus reinforce the already bad reputation of this auction site.

I sure encourage you to do so, I did open claims on paypal a few times and have always got my money back with no hassle !
I'm with you there, simply on principle.
08-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I'm interested in seeing how does this thing take a picture
JSher could probably get a hell of an image with it.

08-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
OK - you've convinced me that I should look into returning Funky for a refund. I didn't think it was worth pursuing, but the responses to my post here gave me food for thought and I changed my mind.

I sent an email to the seller a few minutes ago; we'll see what he/she has to say and go from there. In the event I'm stuck w/ Funky (for whatever reason), a forum member has offered to take her off my hands.

Thanks, all!
08-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PointLookout Quote
OK - you've convinced me that I should look into returning Funky for a refund. I didn't think it was worth pursuing, but the responses to my post here gave me food for thought and I changed my mind.

I sent an email to the seller a few minutes ago; we'll see what he/she has to say and go from there. In the event I'm stuck w/ Funky (for whatever reason), a forum member has offered to take her off my hands.

Thanks, all!
Most sellers will gladly take it back and offer an apology. I've had a seller who refused to take back a lens with fungus because of her no return and sold-as-is policy. A quick dispute was all it took. I lost out on the return shipping fee of $7 but I was refunded everything. Remember that it doesn't matter if the item was sold as-is. If it's not as described then you're entitled to a full refund.

$20 isn't a lot to lose out on but the fact remains that the seller either lied to you or just honestly didn't know how to check for fungus. Either way they need to be educated so the next buyer doesn't experience the same issue.

Best of luck.
08-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Point...I know where you're coming from....I mean, is $20.00 worth the hassle....just put it behind you, & move on?!
But, if it was me, I'd always have it in the back of my mind that this person had dudded me, & got away with it. hangu's comment is spot on, in that this guy may keep on with this sort of rubbish, until someone pulls him up.
So, I'd be returning the item, & getting my $20.00 back.....a pain in the ar..e, but you'll feel better in the long run.
Cheers, Pickles.
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I had a seller drag out a refund for weeks for a Tak 85mm f1.9 that had fungus in it. She pleaded ignorance so I wouldn't leave negative feedback. I caught her selling the same exact lens 2 weeks later with no mention of said fungus. At that point, it was downright fraud. I notified the buyer, got hit with a tampering complaint but it was worth it.