Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Need help to identify lens, which kind of mount?

Hi,

This may not be suited in a Pentax forum but please take that as an compliment to your knowledge instead of anything else

I'm trying to help a friend figuring out how to make use of a lens she found for a couple of bucks on an auction, but unfortunately I couldn't give her a good answer. Some kind of odd fish-eye with a low-budget name I've never seen. The text says: "Semi Fish-eye 0,42X Macro"

And here's some lousy pictures (compared to one of her Canon lenses down below, the odd lens is the one on the right):

What kind of mount is it and if it would be used on a new Pentax or Canon what type of adapter would be needed? I've seen a few lenses made to fit on top of regular lenses, like some kind of add-on, might it be one of those? All kind of help would be very appreciated. Of course I've already tried to Google the text on the lens but it pretty much gave me nothing.

Thanks in advance, Christian

Last edited by cofra; 08-11-2010 at 01:24 AM.
08-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's not a camera-mountable lens -- it's a wide-angle adaptor, for screwing onto a lens to give it a wider and closer view. Such adapters are suitable for cine / video, marginally OK for P&S's, and (usually) absolute crud when used on an SLR lens. Because it has a standard filter thread, it's not limited to any brand of camera. Screw it onto any good 28mm lens to convert that to a lousy (28 x 0.42=) ~12mm lens.

Last edited by RioRico; 08-10-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling
08-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aha... thanks for you're fast answer Rico. Pretty much useless for anything else then some experimenting with low quality shots. I've never used something like it and that may be the reason :-)

Thank's again.