Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing scientific: AF speed of Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro

Hey guys nothing specific but just did some tests reguarding speed of the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro (this one here>>) PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews

I used two cameras a K20D and a K200D. the lens was mounted on a tripod, leveled (so as not to incure gravitational bias with focusing). I then recorded the focusing, then mesured the time it took to go from lock to lock (.95m-Inf)

K20D: 0.15 of a second (inf to 0.95m) 0.17 of a second (0.95m-Inf)

K200D I]0.20[/I] of a second (inf to 0.95m) 0.22 of a second (0.95m-Inf)

Return Delay (time inbetween/ lag from reaching focusing limit to returning)

K20D: Inf-0.95m 0.11 of a second 0.95-Inf

K200D Inf-0.95m 0.27 of a second 0.95-Inf

It's not the zippiest of lenses as far as focusing, but i beleive it to be a better lens than the sigma counterpart. Better IQ and extremly precise focusing along with a close MFD...

Just a few pics

K20D f4.0 1/1600sec 200mm 200ISO

K200D f4.0 1/250sec 70mm 320ISO

K100D Super f4.0 1/800sec 70mm 200ISO

hope this helps in some way....

Have a good one!!

Last edited by Ben Hunt; 08-12-2010 at 06:26 AM.
08-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Interesting, pity you couldn't do it with a K-7.
Why do you say the Sigma is inferior? Are you talking about the HSM one?
08-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I can honestly say the Tammy has some good zip. I shot a night concert with it and it picked up focus very well with people under spotlight. I'm really tempted to pick one up to improve from my DA 50-200
08-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Interesting, pity you couldn't do it with a K-7.
Why do you say the Sigma is inferior? Are you talking about the HSM one?
I'll try and get the info oin the K-7 next week or so for you, but my guess is it should be close to if not faster than the K20/K10D.

yes, I am refering to the HSM version. I feel IMO that the Tamron provides more bang-for-your-buck, as far as IQ, MFD, Accuracy of focusing, build quality (to a degree). Like jboyde said, I too have had very little problems with Low light focusing, i find my Sigma 28mm f1.8 to be more problematic with focusing than my Tamron 70-200. This all being said i base all my opion on 30mins of using this lens from a friend. One gripe i do have with this lens as far as AF is concerned is the noise, not extremly loud but compared to a HSM/SDM it's rather loud and at some events (indoor weddings eg) i tend to find that i press the lens release button with my 4th finger and AF button with my thumb and Manualy focus because it can be a bit noisy. at the end of the day it's personal preference and put up this info for all who have concerns about the focus speed of this lens.

hope this is helpful

Cheers
Ben

08-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #5

What is this problem all about : "the sticking aperture lever problem"

Could someone explain exactly what i have to look for when i want to try out a secondhand Tamron 70-200mm
08-14-2010, 03:30 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good simple tests Ben, though the Sigma HSM is hardly any slower than the Tamron - it is at least as fast according to my own experience of the two lenses. Nevertheless, the Tamron is my personal pick as it focuses reliably, even with a TC attached to it.

guillermovilas, this is a relatively common problem that surfaces in new lenses - soon after purchasing a new Tamron, if the aperture lever is going to 'stick' it is going to do so quite early in its use. It's evident from one or two well exposed captures when stopped down a little (like f/5.6-8) then followed by image after image that is blindingly overexposed - simply because the lens is stuck wide open. Once you dismount the lens, you see the aperture lever stuck in the wide open position. This can be repaired but best done during the retailer's warranty period to save extra costs.
08-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good simple tests Ben, though the Sigma HSM is hardly any slower than the Tamron - it is at least as fast according to my own experience of the two lenses. Nevertheless, the Tamron is my personal pick as it focuses reliably, even with a TC attached to it.

guillermovilas, this is a relatively common problem that surfaces in new lenses - soon after purchasing a new Tamron, if the aperture lever is going to 'stick' it is going to do so quite early in its use. It's evident from one or two well exposed captures when stopped down a little (like f/5.6-8) then followed by image after image that is blindingly overexposed - simply because the lens is stuck wide open. Once you dismount the lens, you see the aperture lever stuck in the wide open position. This can be repaired but best done during the retailer's warranty period to save extra costs.
Ok but my problem is that i have the opportunety to buy a secondhand one , how can i know before purchase that it's got a problem ?