Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamie8383 Quote
I'm new guy fr Vietnam and I have a friend who is a technical expert in Pentax factory. He informed that all lens are now made in VN, despite they were named Made in Japan.
hello Jamie. first and foremost Welcome. personally, I think there is some misunderstanding to what you know regarding lenses being manufactured in Vietnam or in Japan. there is no question that Pentax lenses are now being manufactured in Vietnam, hence they are labeled are Made in Vietnam. but there is no way that the lenses made there in Vietnam would ever be labeled as Made in Japan since they are not manufactured in Japan. people here are referring to the old stock Pentax lenses that were previously made in Japan and not the one that are now currently produced in Vietnam. they are labeled as made in Japan because they were then manufactured there.

same goes for Pentax Cameras labeled as Made in the Philippines because they are Manufactured in the Philippines, not Made in Japan.

12-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Great start to your forum tenure...
Oh no you just got IGNORED .

The whole assembled in Vietnam thing is a little funny, because all the parts are still made in Japan. They are just put together with less expensive labour.

QC was not perfect before, nor is it perfect now... but I have used many an Assembled in Vietnam lens that has had zero problems and proved to be quite durable, so I personally thing this whole AIV phobia is a little BS myself.

I mean, all of your iPhones, and other magical gadgetry is made in China by the lowest bidder... and they all work just fine. I'm not sure what makes this any different.

---

1K posts
12-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It says it on the lens mount as seen in this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/125404-sale-%5Bsold%5D-pentax-...d-sell-us.html
12-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Assembled in Vietnam" means that critical parts are made in Japan and final assembly is done in Vietnam. I think that in this case Pentax is being more clear than others as to manufacture.

12-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My FA 77 is made in Vietnam. A very fine embossing on the focussing scale ring on the opposite side to the focus scale says where it was manufactured.
02-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
I have read a lot of reports that the FA31 and FA77 have marks "Assembled in Vietnam" on them. I am interested to figure out if the FA43 has the same markings. I talked to Adorama, BHPhoto, and Amazon today and basically their policy is not to tell before purchasing. Has anyone recently bought a Pentax 43mm recently from an online retailer and was it MIJ or AIV? If you received a AIV, what did you do and how did the online retailer deal with returns? Even if it doesn't affect IQ, it'll still affect resale value and so I'm trying to cut my losses if I ever sell a brand new lens.
02-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

i recently bought a brand new fa43 ltd from b&h in november last year, and its MADE IN JAPAN

02-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
Thanks tougefc. As luck has it, I just recently purchased a used version right after this post from a forum member.

BTW. That wrecked ship photo is fantastic and I still can't believe it's not HDR. Ha! It was one of the first photos I saw on the site. Just love it!
02-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
i recently bought a brand new fa43 ltd from b&h in november last year, and its MADE IN JAPAN

Yes, the 43 was the last FA Ltd. to be available as MIJ, but if I'm not mistaken B&H has exhausted their stock of those and the ones they have now are AIV. I also have a 43 from B&H that is not very old and is MIJ, but I remember reading very recently on one of the forums about somebody getting an AIV from there. Not sure what other retailer's inventory looks like.

I'm not sure the resale value will be much higher for the MIJ's. Most folks seem to get that there's no real difference (myself included) and don't want to pay more. I've already seen wanted ads in the marketplace reflecting this viewpoint.
02-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kangeroo82 Quote
Thanks tougefc. As luck has it, I just recently purchased a used version right after this post from a forum member.

BTW. That wrecked ship photo is fantastic and I still can't believe it's not HDR. Ha! It was one of the first photos I saw on the site. Just love it!
Thanks! All pp work done on that shot was in Lightroom 2.0 i didnt even apply any sharpning, not bad for the kit lens.