Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well I'll add to pentaxor with my M 85mm:

and

All wideopen or at F/2.8

08-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice shots!
08-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
Nice shots!
Thanks! Whats so awesome is how these are just quick and simple snap shots. No preparation, no nothing. Just aim, focus, click... ok maybe a few setting adjustments here and there but still

Looking at these pictures really makes me want to bring out that lens again. The K 50mm F/1.2 has taken rein over my K-7 lately, but I think its time for it to be dethroned. The M 85mm is just special.... the images it produces have a certain something no other lens I own has.

Plus it can be had for under $250 fairly easily

edit: For the record, I was completely against getting any manual lens that cost over $100.... still am. Despite this, I somehow convinced myself to get the M 85mm, and would say its worth every cent I paid. I would do it again in a heartbeat.... even if it raised up into the high $300's. No other lens can i say the same. I would not pay over $250 for my K 50mm F/1.2 even (got it for $222 on ebay with a Pentax ME) and Im obsessed with that lens.

Last edited by yeatzee; 08-14-2010 at 11:49 AM.
08-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought the M85mm f2 a couple of months ago to get by with until I could afford an FA77 but have found the sharpness and colour reproduction of the M85 so impressive that I don't think I'll bother forking out the extra several hundred dollars required.

Its a beautiful lens.

09-01-2010, 04:31 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So what should I search for on ebay

"m 85mm pentax?"
09-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #51
Inactive Account

Here you go..

pentax 85mm items - Get great deals on Lenses, SLR items on eBay.com!

Looks like there is 1 Pentax-M 85mm f2.0 available at the moment.

09-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers

09-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #53
Veteran Member

In my fold are two 85s: Nikkor 85/2 (US$9) and an M39 Jupiter-9 (US$70). Yeah, I got lucky with the Nikkor, and it was my first base mod to PK mount. And it's my constant companion now. Hint: look for cheap Nikkors in pre-AI-S mounts, and Zuikos in OM mounts. These are easy to mod for PK use. Such fast 85's should be obtainable for under US$100.

Then there's the Soligor DualFocus 85+135/4 that I just got for US$10. Not so fast but quite flexible, eh? Now I need merely learn how to mod its Minolta MD base to PK. I hope that works better than my Petri-PK mod... Hey, 85+135! A perfect portrait lens, especially with a softening filter added...
09-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The official name of the lens is Pentax-M 85mm 1:2. But it's pretty common to refer it as M85/2, M 85/2, or some other variation on that, as well as people just saying "Pentax 85mm lens" or "85/2". I find the best thing to do with any lens is to simply search for the focal length, both with and without "mm". So I'd search for "Pentax 85" and "Pentax 85mm". You'll get a bunch of other hits too, but it's easy enough to scan for the one you want.
09-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I will personally avoid Samyung (and clones) 85mm/f1.4, In my experience - really soft and low contrast compared to taks
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I will personally avoid Samyung (and clones) 85mm/f1.4, In my experience - really soft and low contrast compared to taks
Interesting. This quite the opposite of my experience. My Rokinon copy is sharp wide open and has nice bokeh and colors. I think it performs as good as my Pentax K 85mm f/1.8.

09-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How do I base mod the nikkors to a PK mount?
is there a how-to or tutorial somewhere

also: has anyone been able to get a Leica elmar 90mm working on a PK mount or a m42 adapter?

thanks again, lots of options here it seems, Ilike the idea of a jupiter 9 too, they look neat!
09-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
How do I base mod the nikkors to a PK mount?
1. Look at the lens base. The lowest structure on the lens body is the aperture ring. If that ring has a 'skirt' all the way around it, just press-fit the lens onto the PK mount. Don't bother trying to modify it.

2. If the aperture ring has a protruding nob on one side and an arc on the other, get out your jeweler's screwdrivers, and a Dremel and Reinforced Cut-Off Wheel #426 (about US$12 for five of them).

3. Unscrew the base plate (3 phillips screws). Pull off the aperture ring. Use the Dremel to cut off the nub and arc, so the bottom of the aperture ring is smooth. You might run a sanding wheel over the ring bottom.

4. Blow away the metallic dust. Replace the aperture ring and lens base plate. If any long tabs are sticking out from the lens base, cut them off. You now have a modded lens. Mount it on your camera. Aim and shoot.

QuoteQuote:
also: has anyone been able to get a Leica elmar 90mm working on a PK mount or a m42 adapter?
No.

The problem is what's called registry (or register or registration, whatever), the distance from the camera mount to its sensor or film frame. Longer registry lenses can work on shorter registry mounts, but not vice-versa, because they won't focus to infinity. The Nikon registry is 46.5mm. Pentax registry is ~45.5mm. So a Nikon lens can focus to infinity on a Pentax body, but not vice-versa. And the Leica LTM/L39 registry is 28.8mm, much too short for either.

Canon cameras have registers shorter than most SLRs (but longer than Leicas). Canons are "universal recipients". Nikon cameras have registers longer than most SLRs. Nikons are "universal donors". This webpage lists most camera registers.

There ARE ways a short-register lens like a Leica can be used on a Pentax mount, either PK or M42:

* Major surgery. Cut off about 16.7mm from the Leica lens body. Carefully.

* Use it for macros only. You have three ways to do this:

--- Add a cheap M39-M42 adapter.
--- Use a mount-reversal ring; put the lens on tubes, bellows, or camera body.
--- Use a thread-reversal ring; stack the lens onto a longer lens on the camera.
09-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That sounds way too much for me to do at the moment, I was 10 minutes late getting back to the guy, and he sold the Helios 40 for 200 Euros

So now I think im going to go with a SUper Tak 85/1.9 thanks for all the help gentlemen, I couldnt find a decent jupiter 9 in N AMerica
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
Interesting. This quite the opposite of my experience. My Rokinon copy is sharp wide open and has nice bokeh and colors. I think it performs as good as my Pentax K 85mm f/1.8.
Probably you have a good copy or the two copies which I tested were bad. Personally I wanted that lens due to 'A' but I was disappointed with the performance and in my experience it's not even sharp at f2.8 compared to tak @f2.