Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Jennifer;7397]Thanks, I find myself mostly wanting to get close ups in nature and portraits of my kiddo and from what I have read, the Macro lens should get me there. I know that Sigma is pretty low on the cost scale, but I just barley got my husband to understand why I needed $800 to get started, I don't think he would go for another $400-500 for a good Pentax macro at this point.

I would skip the Sigma zoom. For portrait work and beginning macro work a 50mm fixed focal length lens would be perfect. There are 50mm Macro lenses, but a new Pentax DA 50mm Macro is probably beyond your budget. If you look for a used one, be sure to get an f2.8 so it will be fast enough for portrait work.

Probably your best bet on a budget is a used Pentax 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 (non-macro). They are relatively inexpensive and give good results. With the wide aperture, you can blur the background for good portrait results, and you can use it indoors without using a flash. Be sure to get one with the "A" electrical contacts for access to all metering modes and convenience of use. "F" and "FA" models also support auto-focus. Add an inexpensive 50mm extension tube (again with the "A" contacts) and you can do life size close-ups. The results will be better quality than the so-called "macro" zoom and better than close-up accessory lenses (but not as good as a dedicated macro lens). The main disadvantage of the 50mm as compared to a 90 or 100mm lens is the closer working distance, which can be a problem with things that move and bite.

Portrait work and especially macro work require skill and knowledge for good results. Be sure to understand how aperture affects depth of field and consider what you want in focus and what you want blurred. A tripod is useful for all types of photographs but is essential for macro work. Good macros often require a good accessory flash unit.

Last edited by GaryML; 12-02-2006 at 11:34 AM.
12-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Hi Tom

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Yeah, that is exactly the one i had been looking for. Several months already started 4 months ago (the time i started LBA)

Well, I am sure there are a lot of people searching for this lens for centuries ... hehe So I am nothing compared to these zealot photographers.

I know 35mmphotographer and a few have this lens in DPR and saw their macro shots. I am just speechless for the impact of these macro photos.

Dream Dream Dream

12-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
D FA 100mm f2.8 macro is a great lens. I am waiting for it to arrive

I had seen the great images from Lance's recent shots and lack of availability of Fa* 200mm f4

Sticking to this DFA100mm f2.8 would be great. The centre sharpness is so amazing.

Refer to this pentax imaging for details.

Pentax Imaging: smc P-D FA 100mm F2.8 - DFA - Macro - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

Lance's shots are posted here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/1102-my-first-sr-pics-k10d.html
Can anyone tell me if this lens has a focus switch so that you can use it as a 100mm portrait lens without the full macro focus travel? I know it has a Focus Clamp switch but it is not clear if it works like the Tamron 90mm macro.
12-07-2006, 03:37 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great information! Today I took some shots with my Pentax 18-55 and it does do close ups well. I still dream of a nice macro some day.

I have to say that I am completly enjoying learning about the K100! The AV mode has really helped me get some of the results that I so desire!

Again, thank you all!

12-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jennifer and welcome to the forum

Since you allready have the two Pentax lenses it would not make much sense spending money on another one in the same focal lenght range. As for macro, the 50-200 does a really good job in combination with a close up lens. I use the Canon 250D, you can find a new one for around $80.00. A little care is needed in buying a close up lens, while the single element lenses are a lot cheaper they have nowhere near the quality of dual element lenses.

One cannot compare this setup to a dedicated macro lens but until I can afford one it'll do just fine.

The following image is with the K100D, 50-200 and the Canon 250D

12-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Heinrich, could you tell me about eh Canon 250D. This is a closeup lense that screws onto the end of the telephoto?
Can you tell me the ~$. This could be a reasonable way for me to do macro without getting too deep into my wallet.
This dragonfly shot is very crisp and the DOF seem deeper wingtip to wingtip than on other shots of this kind.
Hand held with SR or tripod?
The overall picture seems a little dark. It this due to the extra lense?
12-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Hi Clarence, it's a two element 4 diopter close up lens. I know that it comes in 52 and 58mm thread size. I have the 58mm, besides the 50-200 I also use it on a A series 35-50 lens. I originally bought it for my Nikon CP8800. In combination with it it rivals many a prime close up lens. I have seen prices anywhere from Can. $80.00 to Can. $110.00, depends on where you find it. It is a current Canon product.

Shot was handheld with native flash

The darkness has nothing to do with the extra lens, f-stop remains the same.

In this sort of photo I like high contrast, in this image there are allready some blow highlights if I were to increase brightness within this contrast range the highlights would be gone. But heh, thats what it is all about, I like it this way and someone else likes it another way.

Take care, Heinrich

Last edited by Heinrich Lohmann; 12-08-2006 at 11:02 AM.
12-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by DenVolpe Quote
Can anyone tell me if this lens has a focus switch so that you can use it as a 100mm portrait lens without the full macro focus travel? I know it has a Focus Clamp switch but it is not clear if it works like the Tamron 90mm macro.

Lacking a response I found a review after extensive web search and the answer is NO. Would have been nice if someone owning this lens answered the post.

12-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DenVolpe Quote
Lacking a response I found a review after extensive web search and the answer is NO. Would have been nice if someone owning this lens answered the post.
The FA version has both. I use the focus limiter extensively.