Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 28-300mm DG: My Humble Experiences (Numerous Images)

This thread may be safe for LBA after you see my examples.

I have had my Sigma 28-300mm 3.5-6.3 DG for nearly three weeks now and some of you may be interested in my vulgar use of the English language fit into some review of sorts. Here goes:

My K10 has some issues helping it to find the focus point and locking it. It seems to be a little better on my K-7. I have been getting use to focusing manually not because of necessity but out of habit since I use MF lenses more and more.

It is a good thing the lens is an automatic aperture because there is very little room between the flash shroud, zoom ring and the aperture ring. It takes some finger manuevering to depress the A switch if you wanted to manual move the aperture ring out of the A setting. The clearance is a little greater on the K-7 than the K10 but still, very little space for a finger.

It often does not focus fast. Performs very much the way my Pentax DA 50-200 does with regards to the speed at which it moves to find the focus. But the DA will hunt a little more, moving in an out of focus until it is locked. Both lenses have a tendency to make very small movements to lock the focus but for the most part, the Sigma lens is better at locking on focus compared with my Pentax DA 50-200mm.

The color and contrast are pretty good. Very close to the image quality of many of Pentax's lenses. And it seems sharp enough. There are times when it seems that there is a fine line between sharp focus and not sharp focus. When I am manually focusing, it seems that you either get it focused sharply or you have missed. The focus ring seems that intolerant to small movements. Turning the ring in the slightest gets you images that are clearly out of focus.

I like the compact size for it's somewhat wide focal range. My K10 underexposes in shaded areas with this lens more so than perhaps other lenses. But EV compensation or manual adjustments take care of that.

I don't yet know if it's performance overall is as satisfying as my other Sigma lens, the Sigma 24-60mm DG but I think I do like it more than my Pentax DA 50-200.
Now, too many images taken with the lens over the past several days. These are all unedited. Some have slight in camera adjustments and all have been compressed using Picasa. (And I am trying to become proficient with the new flickr. Humor me.)

Low light, high iso with K-7 - Cookies as set by the board

There goes my ride! "Throw me down a rope?!" -__- I should probably clean these gutters.

Polar bear shots through double pane, tempered glass. Would a polarizer work here? See what I did there?

If Nirvana were from Canada - Nelvana. Oh Nevermind

I'm not falling for this squirting flower on the lapel of a clown trick again!

Tastes like chicken

08-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

These shots (except for the high iso one) look very crisp and colorful. Look like this lens is a keeper

BTW, it's begging to be reviewed here: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro (AF Lens) Lens Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like all of your shots a lot. Not only do you have a good lens, but you also have a very good eye!
08-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, I was waiting for the vulger language, but all I see is lovely shots. :-)

08-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Yeah, I was waiting for the vulger language, but all I see is lovely shots. :-)
Now you listen to me you fuxing icehole...

My path of reason was to have a well rounded and capable lens that would offer opportunities to carry my somewhat small K-7 in my somewhat small Pentax sling bag and just a few other essentials for moments of traveling somewhat light. I think this lens performs that role very well. Certainly it is not as wide as an 18-***, but we work with compromises.
It's macro is a little more than 1:3 with about 20 inches to the subject. Still a little close to make most insects flee but otherwise a nice distance in my opinion.
I have a feeling that two years from now my collection of images taken with this lens will speak in great numbers.