Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

1st of many ?'s (Pentax 1:2 50mm & blurry photos)

I tried out my 1:2 50mm again this morning. It was not the complete and utter failure and frustration as it was when I tried it yesterday, but I have some questions. I cannot seem to get the lens to focus... while I am twisting the focus ring there is nothing happening (and yes... I did turn the option to allow the aperture ring to work, and I turned on manual focus).

So after all the blurry tries inside, I went out on the porch to try and the photo is in focus of the house across the street. So am I just too close to the kids for the lens to be able to focus? When I am turning that focus ring should I be seeing things come in and out of focus like I do with the kit lens? How far away should I be with the 50mm? Or is it something else altogether like the low light?

Also.. while I have your ears... err... eyes... Is it me or is the flash on the k100d REALLY BRIGHT!? (and because of the spaces it comes back at ya and nearly blinds ya!) My fuji's flash was not nearly as harsh as this one is. I will definitely have to buy a diffuser or something.

Last edited by lapeen; 09-08-2007 at 07:32 AM.
08-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My quick take on this is that you may be a bit close. You also are in not the greatest light situation. What is it giving you for a shutter speed. I think that may be your biggest culprit. What ISO ar eyou shooting. Try the same shoot and light at ISO 800 I think you have a combination of things. But alas I think we can help.

Last edited by vievetrick; 08-24-2007 at 10:33 AM.
08-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

The minimum focusing distnace in meters and feet should be written on the lens? So you can check that easilly and make sure you are far eanough away. U can set the lens to its closest focusing distance and then walk backwards untill the image is sharp and see.

Otherwise the lens is broken...
08-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

the 50/2 will focus to 18''.. anything further than that and you should see things come in and out of focus when you turn the ring. when the focus ring is turned does the lens get longer and shorter?? it should be about 3/8 inch longer when at it's closest focus.

the pentax flash is only about 1/3 the flash that's on my fuji s7000.
the onboard flash will not work with lenses older than the A series.

08-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
the 50/2 will focus to 18''.. anything further than that and you should see things come in and out of focus when you turn the ring. when the focus ring is turned does the lens get longer and shorter?? it should be about 3/8 inch longer when at it's closest focus.

the pentax flash is only about 1/3 the flash that's on my fuji s7000.
the onboard flash will not work with lenses older than the A series.
Hmm... I'm thinking it must be broken. Nothing comes in and out of focus and it does not get any longer or shorter.

Pretty sure pawn shops don't give refunds.... lesson learned
08-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

if the main lens barrel doesn't move then it's broke. should not be hard to fix(maybe).. if you are going to toss it let me know. i'd be happy to send you the shipping $$ to Tx.
this is something i'm starting to do.
08-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you focusing manuallu?

If so, have you adjusted they eyepiece diopter for your vision. It may be that you can't focus because you don't ever see an infocus image

08-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Diopter

Have you checked the audio confirmation with the diopter. You may think you are in focus but if your diopter is out you can be way out. Use the audio confermation beep to confirm focus and adjust after the fact in your diopter.

Ben
08-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

oops.........................
08-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #10

First step: setting the diopter. Look at a well-light wall or other bright surface through the viewfinder. Slide the adjuster until the focus screen lines are crisp and focused, not when the image is focused (I learned this from someone else on here). Second step: does the lens move in and out about 1/4" from lock to lock? If not, it's hooped. Not really a big loss since they're about $20 shipped on eBay. If you're a handy person or want to learn the inner workings of a lens, you could take it apart and see if you can fix it. It's already broken right?
08-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #11

I bought a 50/2 (A) off ebay once that didn't change length when turning the focus ring, a.k.a. "broken", and it wouldn't focus either. Looks like your's might be stuck pretty much all the way in.
08-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looks like your lens is stuck on "infinity" focus..
08-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote

Also.. while I have your ears... err... eyes... Is it me or is the flash on the k100d REALLY BRIGHT!? (and because of the spaces it comes back at ya and nearly blinds ya!) My fuji's flash was not nearly as harsh as this one is. I will definitely have to buy a diffuser or something.

If you're talking about using it with the M lens, the flash can't automatically adjust output.

The flash can do that when it has certain information from the lens. It needs to know what aperture will be used so it can figure out at what point to cut off the light output to make exposure just right.

The more modern FA / DA / A / etc series lenses have the necessary electrical contacts to communicate with the camera body and give the exposure calculating computer the information it needs.

Older lenses such as the M / K / Takumar series of lenses are unable to communicate like that.

With those, the flash just fires full power and it is up to the photographer to calculate and set the appropriate aperture to adjust exposure.

You'll have the same issue even with flashes other than the built-in one. If the flash doesn't support P-TTL (and very few do) or doesn't have the word "auto" in its name somewhere, you'll have to do the calculations yourself....and the setting the aperture caveat regarding older lenses still applies even with a P-TTL capable flash (The P-TTL won't work to regulate the flash output).

If you're considering buying a hotshoe flash unit, please be sure to read up on relevant threads or start a new one because it is very easy to end up with something that could potentially damage your camera.
08-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for all the info!

Based on all you have said, I am 99.9% sure the lens is definitely broken. I am going to try to take it back to the pawn shop at least as leverage to get a better deal on the others that Ken so nicely went and checked out for me!!

As for the flash thing.... I wasn't talking about that in relation to how it worked with the lens, I just meant in general and with the kit lens.
08-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #15

I found the flash to be pretty bright as well, especially if you use it manually (full blast). Using it on the "AUTO" setting seems to tame it down a bit since it varies the flash according to available light.