Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Not Registered

Help in used lens "roadmap"

Hi there

I am new in these forums and I do not know if this topic has been discussed before so I apologize if I am being redundant. I just wanted to know if somebody could help me to understand the dynamics of the used lens pricing. I have been watching the prices of some old lens of the people posting reviews in the lens database and they are way bellow the prices that I can find (e-bay, Keh, adorama, bh). Am I missing some ultra-cheap place where those lens are served?

Thank you in advance

08-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Hi there

I am new in these forums and I do not know if this topic has been discussed before so I apologize if I am being redundant. I just wanted to know if somebody could help me to understand the dynamics of the used lens pricing. I have been watching the prices of some old lens of the people posting reviews in the lens database and they are way bellow the prices that I can find (e-bay, Keh, adorama, bh). Am I missing some ultra-cheap place where those lens are served?

Thank you in advance
In general, demand for good quality used lenses has actually gone up and so have the prices. In my area, the local camera shops complain that no one wants Pentax (which is good for me, to some extent) and they sell what they have very cheap.
08-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There are a lot more Pentax owners now who are competing for the old pentax glass, which has driven the price up. Also, on ebay now, most know what they are selling and what the value is and if they don't there is usually fierce bidding for Pentax glass driving the price up.

I have found scouring pawn brokers the best way of finding bargains as they often don't know what they have and don't know anything about photography nor Pentax.

Buying a heap of Pentax lenses 12 months ago would have been a very good investment indeed. Wish I'd had the foresight to buy up as many lenses as possible as I would have been able to finance my hobby fully today.
08-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it will only get worse as I just got my k100d w/lens kit for only $398 after the rebate... that's barely more than a high end point-and-shoot!

08-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Coleen,
Did you get the lenses from the pawn shop? When are we going to see your first photos?

Regards,

Ken
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by matiki Quote
In general, demand for good quality used lenses has actually gone up and so have the prices. In my area, the local camera shops complain that no one wants Pentax (which is good for me, to some extent) and they sell what they have very cheap.
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately for me, the camera shop bussiness is dying/dead in Ann Arbor (which is something that it amazes me considering the fact that it is a wealthy and "artsy" city)
08-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Not Registered

I agree but...

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
I think it will only get worse as I just got my k100d w/lens kit for only $398 after the rebate... that's barely more than a high end point-and-shoot!
I think that there is something more than that. I just won today a smc-A 50mm f1.7 in ebay after 3-4 trials and for curiosity I was inspecting the second bidder and in the last 2 days he/see bought about 7 normal primes and pentax packs (old camera+flashes...) including at least 2 smcA 50 f1.7. So it sounds like a blooming bussiness to invest in camera equipment of promising brands. I wonder if it would not be a good idea just to buy a bunch of 645 lens while they are cheap just in case Pentax decides to release a 645 D
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Coleen,
Did you get the lenses from the pawn shop? When are we going to see your first photos?

Regards,

Ken
I went over there today and the sign said open... but the doors were all locked and it was dark. I'll have to try again on Monday when I get back from NH.

I posted my first photos yesterday in the "post your photos" section And lots on my blog... of course!

....sorry for the little hijack... now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

08-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I think that there is something more than that. I just won today a smc-A 50mm f1.7 in ebay after 3-4 trials and for curiosity I was inspecting the second bidder and in the last 2 days he/see bought about 7 normal primes and pentax packs (old camera+flashes...) including at least 2 smcA 50 f1.7. So it sounds like a blooming bussiness to invest in camera equipment of promising brands. I wonder if it would not be a good idea just to buy a bunch of 645 lens while they are cheap just in case Pentax decides to release a 645 D
It just may be! Bummer that you have to HAVE money to MAKE money
08-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
It just may be! Bummer that you have to HAVE money to MAKE money
Yeap, bussiness is bussiness :ugh: One day some of the reviews of pentax gear will say "and with this amazing camera body you can always use some of the incredible good, old and profitable lenses"
08-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Buying a heap of Pentax lenses 12 months ago would have been a very good investment indeed. Wish I'd had the foresight to buy up as many lenses as possible as I would have been able to finance my hobby fully today.
.... I bet all the F* FA* and 1.7x AF TCs you could find...
08-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
.... I bet all the F* FA* and 1.7x AF TCs you could find...
Yep, I beat the rush, no question there!!

Cheers,
Marc
08-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
DAP

The reason you are seeing low prices in the lens review database is most likely due to the fact that the lenses were bought before the K10d was released. Prices on a lot of Pentax lenses have gone up quite a bit since then due to a big increase in the number of pentax users. Another phenomenon that is fueling it (in my humble and possibly misguided opinion) seems to be this lame "LBA" crap that is permeating what seems like every camera site on the web - everybody seems to be overspending in an effort to accumulate as many lenses as they can in the shortest amount of time possible and then they proceed to pat each other on the back for being good consumers - it tends to lead people to BUY, BUY, BUY, BUY without thinking (sorry for the personal rant - sometimes the whole LBA thing gets a little over the top). Just hang in there...right now we seem to be at the top of the pentax pricing curve. I would be willing to bet that when some of the competition (canon, nikon, olympus, etc)releases their new "latest and greatest"camera models a fair number of people will jump ship (just like when the k10d came out a lot of people jumped from other brands to pentax) - if that happens the lens prices should drop a bit. Until then shop smart (bargains are still out there if you look) and avoid hunting down the "flavor of the month" lenses that everybody else is fighting over.
08-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #14

I'm not sure if this was normal behavior before since I've only been in the market for Pentax equipment for a month or so but I'm seeing a lot of old Pentax film cameras with a manual lens (not the auto) sell for $60+. Some get over $100 if they include a low-end consumer zoom. This is amazing to me coming from the world of Canon FD equipment where fully-functional AE-1's sell for $30. I can't see the people paying that much just to get the lens out of the deal since the 50mm lens included is usually an f2 that sells for roughly $20. Sometimes I don't get the mentality on eBay I guess.
08-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
The reason you are seeing low prices in the lens review database is most likely due to the fact that the lenses were bought before the K10d was released. Prices on a lot of Pentax lenses have gone up quite a bit since then due to a big increase in the number of pentax users. Another phenomenon that is fueling it (in my humble and possibly misguided opinion) seems to be this lame "LBA" crap that is permeating what seems like every camera site on the web - everybody seems to be overspending in an effort to accumulate as many lenses as they can in the shortest amount of time possible and then they proceed to pat each other on the back for being good consumers - it tends to lead people to BUY, BUY, BUY, BUY without thinking (sorry for the personal rant - sometimes the whole LBA thing gets a little over the top). Just hang in there...right now we seem to be at the top of the pentax pricing curve. I would be willing to bet that when some of the competition (canon, nikon, olympus, etc)releases their new "latest and greatest"camera models a fair number of people will jump ship (just like when the k10d came out a lot of people jumped from other brands to pentax) - if that happens the lens prices should drop a bit. Until then shop smart (bargains are still out there if you look) and avoid hunting down the "flavor of the month" lenses that everybody else is fighting over.
It makes sense, I think that some people have transformed the pleasure of taking pictures in something similar to the shoe shopping stereotype (no offense to anyone I am just trying to be descriptive). And maybe is because of my lack of knowledge-money but I still do not understanding why some people (as I have read in some other forums) has the sigma 17-70 + Sigma 28-70 + Tamron 28-75 + Pentax 16-45 and now they are complaining cos the 16-50 is not the lens able to take the pictures they want by reading their minds. I will happily train myself in taking pictures with the lens that they like the less. On the other side I can make an effort and understand the collectionist spirit of the LBA, the only thing that I do not understand is their need to dupplicate or even triplicate some lens by buying in auctions sites, maybe is closer to the gambling addiction than many people thinks. If this is the case, I can offer myself to help them to stop their suffering by taking a couple of their lens in custody.